+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Don't understand Pump/Filter relationship

Default Don't understand Pump/Filter relationship

I'm back again. Last year I asked about which filter/pump to get and did not get a reply. I think I posted it in the wrong section.
    I haven't opened my pool yet, and before I do I am buying a new filter/pump. I've read some stuff on here from Mark and I have decided to stick with a cartridge system. I just need to know what to get. I've looked at the Pentair 50 sq. ft. model.
    If I get the combo, will that work?
    Pardon my ignorance, but is this a standard 3-prong plug? Or, something that requires an electrician's expertise?
    All the advice last year kept my pool cleaner than it has ever been, but I could tell I was having an issue with the size of my filter.
    Thanks
    Intex Above-Ground Swimming Pool, Ultra Metal-Frame, 24' x 52"
    About 14,600 gallons?
    Intex 2,500-gallon filter pump

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Don't understand Pump/Filter relationship

On a 15k pool, the minimum recommended filter size is 110 sq-ft but I would double that to minimize cleaning frequency. The combo unit with that size filter and a two speed pump is the PNCC0200OP2160 which also has a standard plug. The pump that comes with the unit is labeled a 2 HP but in fact it has the same head curve as the 1 1/2 HP pump. Also the OptiFlo pump series is a pretty small pump as pumps go so don't get too concerned with the label HP.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Thanks for replying so quickly. From what I have read on this forum, the pump is usually too large for the filter and so it does not allow for complete filtration. Am I understanding this correctly? And, I am assuming that my Intex pump/filter is the epitome of this problem and I NEED to get a new pump/filter?
    Also, the weirdest (but of course not really the weirdest considering the brand/price) thing about my pool is the filter intake being over half way up the side of the pool. I thought this was a bit strange since all of the particles sink to the bottom. I was wondering about rigging some type of pvc elbow to move the intake to the bottom. Any experience with this?
    Thanks again.
    Intex Above-Ground Swimming Pool, Ultra Metal-Frame, 24' x 52"
    About 14,600 gallons?
    Intex 2,500-gallon filter pump

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

If your pool falls under your local building code, the code may specify what kind of connector you use. I had to have a twist lock plug / recptacle with a 3' cord installed for my little 1/2 HP pump last year just to satisfy code. In my experience, your local building inspector can be your friend but only if you do what he (she) says when you ask.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
    I was wondering about rigging some type of pvc elbow to move the intake to the bottom. Any experience with this?
    Yes. Don't do it.

Pool pumps can suck the guts out of people . . . literally. Manufacturer systems are, at least somewhat, designed to avoid this outcome. Most home-built suction replacement systems I've seen are very much like what you'd design, if you were TRYING to suck people guts with your pool pump!

Not saying that's what people were trying to do, but it's what tends to happen when you don't know to try NOT to do it.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Not to mention that contrary to popular belief a main drain on the bottom of the pool really does nothing to remove dirt from the bottom of the pool. The area of influence on dirt of a typical main drain is only a couple of inches around the main drain. To remove dirt from the bottom of a pool, you really need a cleaner.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

+ Reply to Thread