+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wood vs steel

Default wood vs steel

I am thinking about building a new pool.
    what are the pros and cons of wood vs steel framing for a vinyl linned pool.
    We live in southern WI.

I was told that the wood will hold up to our winters and that it is a better insolator.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: woos vs steel

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

That question has come up around the forum before. Try using the Google search link in my sig to look for other forum posts on the subject--this search feature is much better than the v.bulletin search supplied by the forum.

Hopefully some of the other folks with good info will be by shortly to help answer your question, as well.
    Janet

I have tried the google search without much luck.

Thanks

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

My pool is AG with a combination of wood, steel, aluminum and plastic. The supports and struts are all treated 4x4s with 2x4 reinforcement. They support four steel trusses that form the frame and support the deck of the pool. The long trusses are nearly 900# each. The walls are aluminum and plastic. I am opening my tenth season with this pool and the wood shows no sign of wear. The quarter-inch thick U-channel the 4x4s stand in took some serious maintenance last season. The aluminum and plastic water walls, guaranteed for life, is not holding up too well but is still ok. That is my experience.
    Carl
    Carl

I am looking to build a ig, possibly wood framed pool.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I would not bury wood. I may be wrong but I thing it's a bad idea.
    Carl

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by deltgen View Post
    I am looking to build a ig, possibly wood framed pool.
    Is this a manufactured product, or are you planning a DIY project? Since environmental regulations forced changes in treated wood a few years back, things that used to be rated for underground use are no longer rated that way.

Either way, I'd want to investigate and verify that it's still possible to get wood that will survive 20+ underground.

If you're wanting wood, because you think it will be more durable than metail, I'd recommend in you look into high quality plastic ("resin", they often call it ) pool walls.

You might want to look at the Above Ground Gallery, too. Unless you want a true deep end, above ground pools offer more bang for the buck, are easier to service, and in a flat area like yours, offer better intrinsic privacy.
    Above Ground Gallery
    Above Ground Gallery, cont
    Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread