+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jacuzzi pool filter conversion kit?

Default Jacuzzi pool filter conversion kit?

I have a jacuzzi pool filter for a 13,000 gal pool and spa. It uses cartidge filters, the largest sized TRi-clops filters. I have replaced them from time to time over the years, when needed. Now, I can't just buy the replacement filters, apparently. I have to buy them with a 'conversion kit'.

I need help in understanding what is involved with this step: installing the conversion kit. Anyone have any idea what is involved? Any web sites that I can access to see what needs to be done? I have kept rewashing my latest set of filters (there are three in a set) for two+ seasons - but now I need to do soemthing about this issue.

Thanks for any advice/help.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Jacuzzi pool filter conversion kit?

Jacuzzi Pool Products is out of business, and product support is pretty spotty. Your best bet is to find someone who wants to sell you the parts, and will explain OR to hire a pool guy to do it. If you're not 'handy', the second option is probably the best choice. I did some looking, as well, and didn't come up with anything quickly.

Unfortunately, 'work-around' parts often come with minimal support, and may be supplied with the assumption that 'you can figure it out'. I

I'll move this so others can see it, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for help. Waterbear or Waste probably can, if they have ever had to do a conversion themselves; I can't, because I haven't.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Sorry, can't help either.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Did a bit more checking. It seems that the original tri-clops elements were oval shaped and Jacuzzi Brothers changed over to round cartridges with more filtering area and that required a replacement of the manifold and the 3 standpipes that support the carts. This was an OEM change and and not aftermarket when Jacuzzi changed cart shapes. Not that familiar with Jacuzzi Brothers but usually replacing the manifold and standpipe in a cart filter is fairly trivial. Usually you lift the old one out and drop the new one in. Pay attention to any alingment or water flow arrows.

Also, I found a few online sources that still list the old, oval filters as available but the price was very high compared to the newer style carts.

This filter can also be converted to a DE filter by replacing the internals (removing the cartridge mainfold and standpipes and replacing with the DE mainfold and grid assembly).
    Last edited by waterbear; 04-20-2012 at 02:42 PM.

What PoolDoc said.

I have all Jacuzzi stuff on my pool, Magnum Force pump, and a Lazer sand filter, and I CAN NOT find parts. At one time, there was a wholesaler in Memphis that had started making limited parts for Jacuzzi, but to tell you that you can get a part nowadays would be me blowing smoke. To illustrate this, the winter drain cap for my sand filter cracked, and I now have a Hayward part on there with a bunch of silicone sealant so it won't leak as the threads are different, but close...

EDIT - I checked with the place that I used to get parts from, and they SAY they have parts, so I will try to see if I can get something. What exactly are you needing? I can tell you if they have it, and then your pool store could get it for you maybe?
    18x36 IG Vinyl...Jacuzzi Pumpworks (the bane of my existance), VERY small pool biz - Full time Science and Math teacher!

Thanks to each of you for your help. I found one site that sells the "conversion kit with replacement filters" for $720. I also found Sta-Rite system with the following for $580:

Sta-Rite System3 450sqft
    Starter Package Flow Block and 3 Cartridges
    The Retrofit Kit Contains:
    One plastic manifold that installs in seconds and can be easily removed/reinstalled when cleaning out the filter vessel.
    Three cartridges with the same square footage of media as the original OEM filter cartridges.
    Replace cartridges are lower cost and east to use.

Can anyone tell me if the Sta-Rite system is for the same capacity as I currently have (13,000 gal pool plus spa)? The replacement cost on the filters on this site is $281 - and I've payed as much as $377 per filter in the past! If the Sta-rite system works - I'm thinking of going with it (and seeing if there are cheaper options).

Thanks again!

Thanks for the response and help. I will do some more searching, and may look into the DE option.

My advice is to RUN and not walk away from a system 3 filter! Look into a Pentair clean and clean or clean and clean plus instead. Depending on just how 'dirty' your pool gets the single cart 150 sq ft clean and clear might be enough. If you need larger filtering capacity, the clean and clear plus are 4 filter systems. How many sq ft is your current Jacuzzi and how often do you need to clean it? I have a 150 sq ft clean and clear on a pool/spa about half your size and really only need to clean it once a year or less if I wait for a 10 PSI pressure increase BUT I do clean it 2-4 times a year because my pool is open year round!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Waterbear, you know I agree on the System3 cartridge and sand filters. But, my experience with the System3 DE filter was satisfactory.

I was referring specifically to their cart filter, which is what the OP was listing. Never seen one of the sand ones except in catalogs and never sold one Their DE filters are decent if you mean the ones with the normal grids (SD series). The ones that use the cart type grid (Modular DE filter SMD series) are not as good IMHO.

+ Reply to Thread