+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I;m looking for information on variable speed pool pumps

Wink I;m looking for information on variable speed pool pumps

This is my first thread so that I can get accepted.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: I;m looking for information on variable speed pool pumps

I have a 14x26 pool that is 6 years old. My existing pump - jacuzzi- is making a lot of noise, so I want to replace it, to keep peace with the neighbors and since we are away during the summer, I don't want to have to replace it when I'm not here. So I've done a bit of researching but there are so many brands and models, that I wonder which ones are best. I'm interested in variable speed, since it would seem that we would save on electricity. Most only have a warranty of one year, and I've read some horror stories about having to replace the entire pump after the one year is over, as maintenance seems to be a problem sometime. So I would like to know which brand people are most happy with and why.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I'm guessing your 14x26 is shallow only? So, your volume is around 10K gallons? What sort of filter do you have? Is there a spa?

If you have a simple 10K pool with no additional equipment, you would probably be best with a 1HP 2 speed pump. You only require 21 GPM for an 8 hour turnover. With a 1HP 2 speed, you could run 6 - 8 hours on low speed, and 16 - 18 hours OFF, and get exceptionally clear water. You'd only use high speed for vacuuming, and to prime the system. Two speed pumps, with mechanical timers, are MUCH less susceptible to maintenance problems, and issues with lightning, than the new multi-speed VFD pumps, which are bristling with lightning sensitive electronics.

Two speed systems may also be eligible for a rebate from your power company.

A system like this would probably work well; the current Amazon prices are quite good:
    The Whisperflo is quite reliable and efficient and is . . . quiet, as well. Plus, low speed operation is inherently MUCH quieter than high speed operation. On low speed, your neighbors won't hear your pump at all, and you probably won't either. If you decide to order these, I'll get with Mark (mas985) and work up a wiring connection diagram for your electrician. We need to do that, anyway, but probably won't till someone specific needs it.

You will also need to set the clock correctly, so it the pump can start on high, and then switch to low after it's re-primed.

You can see other types of pumps, here:
    http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-Pu...Categories.bok

BUT . . . we can't make any final recommendations without the pump and pool information I asked for above!

Best wishes.

My pool has a deep end - 1/2 is 3' deep and the other half is 6' deep. No spa. Solar heat, salt-water, and I don't know what kind of filter.
    Thanks for your help. I think I'm already on the right track with the idea of geting 2 speeds.
    Screened 14x26 pool inground with noisy Jacuzzi pump

I have the whisperflo and I like the pump itself very much. Zero problems from the pump end.
    ~18K gal IG Gunite -- 1-HP Pentair Whisper Flo with new 2-speed motor. Intermatic T1000 Dual Speed Timer -- Tagelus 60D sand filter
    Hayward SWCG (up to 40K gal.) -- Polaris 280 and booster pump -- Rainbow (now Pentair) in-line chlorine Feeder.

+ Reply to Thread