Closed Thread

Thread: -- CLOSED THREAD/ PoolDoc -- recommend auto cleaner for 18' Intex Ultra w/ 1hp pump

Default -- CLOSED THREAD/ PoolDoc -- recommend auto cleaner for 18' Intex Ultra w/ 1hp pump

Now that I've got a real filter system for the 18' softsided Ultra via Waterway 1hp, 50sq.ft. filter, I'm almost happy. I'm happy until I need to waste the better part of an hour setting up, scrub-vacuuming by hand, then taking apart and putting all the vac equipment away. I only do it every 2 weeks because I hate doing this chore.
    I'm ready to invest 1 or 2 hundred dollars in an autocleaner.

I keep reading all the wonderful reviews of the Kreepy Krauly 'Lil Shark for above ground pools, and just before I plunk money down for it, I see a warning at the bottom of the webpage which says, "Not for softsided, inflatable, or Intex style pools." Waaaa.

Because my Intex is curved between the floor and the wall, similar to an inground pool, am I supposed to use an auto cleaner designed for inground pools? What to do?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Please recommend auto cleaner for 18' Intex Ultra w/ 1hp pump

Let me start off by saying, "THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION!". I've never used an auto-cleaner in an AG pool, so what I'm saying below is based on research I just did, plus my knowledge of pools, not experience with the units.

Anyhow:

1. Your unlikely to find an auto-cleaner that is powered by the pool pump, and that works in Intex pools. The Intex pumps are just too small. That's not a bad thing -- most AG pumps are tool LARGE, but it does mean you can't use a pump powered vac.

2. Look through Amazon, I could see some people had tried, but the results had generally been unhappy. A few got the units to work, but were frustrated by what they had to go through to connect the vacuum each time.

3. That leaves electrically powered vacuums. My first thought was, "No way!", because those units are pricey, but I looked anyhow. I found the Aqua Products "Rover Jr" for on Amazon for under $300. That's still more than you thought, but a LOT less than I expected. Read through the reviews for yourself, but it looked to me like most of the people with problems had unrealistic expectations -- an auto vac like this will NOT get every last bit of debris; it WILL stir up dirt, some of which will re-settle after you remove the vac!

4. I looked up the manufacturer's website, and found the product page, http://www.aquaproducts.com/poolroverjunior.htm, along with the Pool Rover Jr operator's manual.

5. The Aqua Products support line is 800-845-4856.

6. I'd recommend reading through the product literature, and the Amazon reviews BEFORE buying. Then call Aqua Products and verify that it's acceptable to use it in an Intex; I didn't see anything but I didn't read every word, either. When you call, remember they are probably backed up right now, so you may need to call 10am on a Thursday, or something like that, to get through. Their hours are Monday through Friday 9AM - 4PM EST.

If you do buy one of these, please revisit this thread after you've used it, and let us know how it worked out!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I used a SmartPool Robo-Kleen cleaner for three years in my 15' intex donut. It stopped moving after three years. I liked it so well that I bought another last year when we had our 12x24 traditional AG installed. Both cost about $300 from local pool stores - seems to be a little less now on the Internet. 3 years doesn't seem like a long run but, for me, it paid for itself the very first time I used it. I did have it in the pool every day or every other day as our pool is surrounded by full grown pin oaks that drop stuff in the pool all year.
    Two other advantages: 1) The filterbag is quite fine and fuzzy on the inside and catches alot of fine stuff. It significantly improved the water quality when I was using Intex cartridges - perhaps because it kept the particles in the water available to the filter. 2) It mixes the pool - I tried to be sure I added bleach etc. when the robot was working to be sure it wouldn't stay in one place long.
    One other thing, the robo-kleen would occasionally "turtle" in the donut pool - sad robot laying on it's back unable to move. I found I could mitigate this by letting the cord have as many loops as it wants (the cord has a "lay" when it arrives) - more or less loops and the tendency for the cord to tangle itself increases and tangled cord leads to upside down robot.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Yes, Yes it is.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Thanks for your reply.
    I tried to emphasize in my title and in the first sentence of my post that I have a sufficiently powerful filter pump; enough suction to latch onto a small child and drown him, so I figure should be enough suction to run a traditional vacuum powered autocleaner. Looking for one compatible with curved bottom liners of the Intex style pool.
    Be great if anyone can provide long-term-use review of a successful production combining a 1hp pump and Intext pool.Thanks.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-19-2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: clean quote

Quote Originally Posted by Psychoknight View Post
    I tried to emphasize in my title and in the first sentence of my post that I have a sufficiently powerful filter pump; enough suction to latch onto a small child and drown him, so I figure should be enough suction to run a traditional vacuum powered autocleaner.
    Unfortunately, the phrases "1 HP pump" and "Intex Ultra" combine to become meaningless. The games played with horsepower ratings for AG pool pumps are *almost* as bad at the vacuum cleaner horsepower ratings. The fact that you have literature or a label that says you have a "1 HP pump" tells me nothing at all about your pump.

The fact that you say you have "enough suction to latch onto a small child and drown him" scares me. If that is actually true, it probably means you have retro-fitted pump intended for other uses. And in that case, I don't want to recommend a cleaner, because I don't want to get into your pool's hydraulics at all. It's a free country -- if you want to put a 20HP Marlow flooded suction pump, that can circulate the entire volume of your pool every 5 minutes, well it's a free country. But, it's not a project the PoolForum will participate with.

In this context "free" ALSO means "not safe" and possibly, "extremely unsafe". Very few people understand how to set up a high flow, high negative pressure, so that it's safe. If you're one of them . . . you are also as qualified as anyone here, to select a vacuum system for your *unconventional* pool, and you don't NEED our recommendations.

But, if you're NOT one of those few who can design -- from scratch -- a safe home-built suction inlet system, I don't want to get anywhere near making recommendations for your pool.

As you note, it currently can latch onto a small child and drown him and that's not a project I want anyone here involved with. I never know what to make of the user names new members pick, but in your case, I have to assume it was more meaningful than I realized.

So, sorry, but I'm closing this thread!

If you want to contact me directly, you may do so at poolforum@gmail.com

Closed Thread