+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank you pool doc!! Your the best.....

Default Re: Thank you pool doc!! Your the best.....

I don't think I have any CYA in the pool. According to this link this is my issue. All the cya got eaten up. http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/spri...-problems.html Anyway been 5 days today with a cloudy pool...Uggg.

Mike NJ
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-30-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: editing to trim / organize / answer
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

If your CYA is zero, then a 5 ppm loss of chlorine during the day is not bad. All you can do is keep shocking until you know for sure that you've overcome whatever is creating the demand, and then filter the dead stuff out. Is your cartridge filter catching anything obvious?

Janet

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Hi Lawrosa. Big Dave and I both live in NJ so we face the same problems you do. We have had an unusually warm winter and mild spring so spring algae starts early. A few years ago when we were having som brutal winters the ice in my pool would be over a foot thick! Not this year! In those years it would be barely melted when I would start my opening in April and I would only have debris, no algae. Yesterday I open to a green pool, though not as green as yours. I shock my pool twice at the end of the season, first to get it really clean, then I add a quart of polyquat which drives the FC down, then 48 hours later shock it u p again and close.

If your pool is now blue and cloudy, it is mostly dead algae and other junk, not stuf you have to kill...but keep maintaining your FC. Something is not filtering right. Try adding a skimmer sock to your skimmer. It filters amazing amounts of junk out. Skimmer Sock is a brand but there are others.

If you are using the sand filter for the gross cleanup, you can try the DE trick to allow the sand to filter better. A 10# box lasts me years. If you are usung a cart it should be able to handle the quantity of stuff suspended in your water, only requiring cleaning when it is clear.
    Carl

From pm to am I went from 15ppm to 12.5 ppm. Still cloudy water. Filtering with cart on low 24/7 still. Pressure not rising any. Filter not catching anything. Is there anything else I should try or test?

Mike NJ
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-30-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: editing to trim / organize / answer
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

How's your return flow? How's your filter? Is the cartridge OK? Maybe your pressure guage is busted? Just gusses.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Cart new from last year. Unicel Return flow is good. No issues. That filter should turn the water over in two hours on high. Pressure gauge new. Starting pressure 14 psi. On low it 5 psi.

I have been running on low speed all 5 days. Here and there I will run on high a couple hours. [ Do NOT do this! You are likely blowing dirt THROUGH the filter! PoolDoc ]

Mike NJ

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

It sounds to me like your filter isn't working efficiently enough. There are some cartridge filters you can use the DE with, and some that you can't. I'll try to do some forum searching and find the discussion I saw recently on that. In the meantime, how hard would it be to switch back over to the sand filter that you CAN add DE to and see if that does a better job?

Janet

Does not take much effort to put the sand filter back on line. I thought the cart was better then the sand with the DE.

Mike NJ
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-30-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: editing to trim / organize / answer

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

DE will give the finest filtration. A little DE on your sand may be eaiser than the cart because you can backwsh the sand filter. Check the condition of the and before you return it to service.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

I had the same problem last year. I have been following Ben's suggestion from last year as in post #25 here. The only thing I am running the cart only.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...-stinks./page3

Mike NJ
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-30-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: editing to trim / organize / answer

+ Reply to Thread