+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank you pool doc!! Your the best.....

Default Re: Thank you pool doc!! Your the best.....

Just checking in. Pool looks the same as in last pics. "CLOUDY" blue!!!! Added bleach to 15ppm or so levels last night. This morning 11.5ppm. Pump running 24/7.

Hope this helps folks here. I guess it will give people a time frame of how long it will take a cloudy pool to clear up. I am being very diligent in keeping shock levels up, and have been for the past few days. I started this shock process on 4/16 in the PM. So tonight will be a complete 3rd day

Just re read my thread from last year and basically I am doing the same thing as last year. Although since I have the 1515 test kit I can more accurately add the proper amount of bleach. And hopefully not bring the metals out this year and stain the liner.

We will see.

Mike NJ
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-30-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: editing to trim / organize / answer
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

So shock levels seem to be staying up and not dropping much. Just a few ppm. 3-4ppm throughout the day. Although its been cloudy weather and no sun. Possibly this may mean I am at some break point and the pool may clear up. Its still in the same state as my last pic. Cloudy, white/blue milk....LOL

Keeping shock levels to 15ppm. Just tested and was 12ppm. Raised it back to 15ppm. Did this only twice today. This morning, and just now this PM.

Wish me luck... ( If I did not have bad luck I would have no luck at all !!!!!)

Mike NJ
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-30-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: editing to trim / organize / answer
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Sounds like you're making progress. How much chlorine are you losing between dusk and dawn?

With a sand filter, you could use the DE trick that the other mods do--they use just enough DE to make the pressure rise by 1# and put it into the skimmer to coat the sand. This will allow the sand filter to pick up smaller particles. If you decide to do this, check after you add it to make sure it's not coming back into the pool via the returns--if that's happening, then you may need to investigate the filter a little further.

Janet

Janet I am not using the sand filter. That I only use to vacuum the leaves and bottom after opining. Once I get the crude out I run the cart only. This prolongs the life of my cart.

The other reason is during heavy clean up the cart would need to be cleaned very often. The sand filter makes it easier because I just backwash for a minute then go back to vacuuming. The cart I would have to break the filter down, hose it off, re prime the pump, etc... A pain in the arse really.

I will post my Cl loss tomorrow. Like I said its not losing much now but its not clearing up yet either.

Mike NJ

So this morning CL level was 12ppm from 15ppm for a overnight lose. Raised it back to 15 ppm. I will test again noon'ish Not much loss and this is where I am at.

Pool is still cloudy white.

Mike NJ
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-30-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: editing to trim / organize / answer

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Keep shocking until you can go from sundown one evening until within two hours of sunup the next morning without losing more than 1ppm of chlorine and you don't have more than 0.5CC. And, then, for added insurance, Id keep it at shock level for one additional day. Also, keep running the pump 24/7.

OK so I set the shock level to exactly 15 ppm last night, and I awoke this morning with a 10 ppm. So I am still fighting something. Like I said its a carbon copy of last year. I am chugging along....LOL

Pool still milky white cloudy. Same as my last pic I posted. Filter has been running low with the cart 24/7.

I am testing my levels of P.O.P....LOL It's day 4 of my cleaning process. I believe last year took two weeks, but I was a yo-yo with the shock levels. This year I am staying very consistent.

Mike NJ
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-30-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: editing to trim / organize / answer

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrosa View Post
    I am testing my levels of P.O.P....LOL

This year I am staying very consistent.
    Those are the two most important ingredients -- POP and consistency! Keep at it.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-30-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: reduce # of sigs on page

So I am still adding cl. Dropped to 10 in sun today. That was a 5 ppm drop. Did this twice today. once in the afternoon and tonight. I have not let it drop below 10ppm so far.

Raised it to 15 again this pm for overnight. I checked the CC and it was only 1 ppm. Is this normal if you're fighting something? Seems low for the pool in the fact that its still cloudy.

OK any suggestions I am all ears........ I will continue to do what I am doing. Out to get more bleach tomorrow. I believe I been through 18 gallons so far. $1.59 a gallon.

Mike NJ
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-30-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: editing to trim / organize / answer

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Depending on your CYA level, a 5 ppm drop is not unreasonable for a sunny day. That's why you measure just the chlorine lost at night when you're trying to see if you're still battling something in the water. Also, it is not unusual for the CC to only be 1 ppm--CC is removed by chlorine, but also by sunlight, which is also why we recommend you test at night and then early in the morning to see what's actually happening in your pool. Hang in there!!

Janet

+ Reply to Thread