+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new salt water system - which one?

Default new salt water system - which one?

Hi all. i have an above ground pool that i haven't opened yet for the season and i am considering converting to saltwater.

the pool is ~7500 gallons.

i see all over the internet different products but im not sure which are good. how much should i expect to pay for a good system and what are some brands/products i should look for?

thanks.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: new salt water system - which one?

SWCG's aren't usually recommended for above ground pools. On most pools, if you install one, it will void the warranty. Exceptions incude Intex's pools, since they are almost all plastic. But, metal wall pools and salt aren't a good mix.

lets assume i am willing to take that risk, which brands are good?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

From what I've seen, the preferred choices would be Hayward / Goldline Aquarite or AutoPilot. In getting the links, I just noticed that AutoPilot has an above-ground unit. Sean Assam, an AutoPilot service manager, is a regular here, so he may have more info on those. My own experience is with Pentair Intellichlor units, which are not thought of as well. (And Pentair doesn't think of them as well, either: they've been shortening the warranty on them!)

I just noticed that both AutoPilot & Hayward have above-ground units. They look like they're pretty new . . . which is always a reason for caution. But the AutoPilot unit is rated to operate at 1,000 ppm of salt, which is not a problem for AG pools -- you'll go above that in a summer's chlorine use. Here's the brochure. Personally, I wouldn't recommend that unit (or any unit!) if it's new this year.

The Hayward / Goldline unit is available from Amazon; there are several models, and I don't know what the differences are; they all seem to be about $475. Here's the "Goldline AQ-TROL-RJ AquaTrol Above-Ground Pool Return Jet Chlorinator", and the brochure for that unit.

But, several people here know more about the individual models, than I do.

i was looking at the Hayward/goldline unit on amazon but i have no idea if i was cheapening out at $475 or if its a solid unit.

i thought that 3000ppm was the requirement for proper chlorination.

im new to all this, so pardon my ignorance. i m guessing the lower the salt level the better for AG pools, is there a minimum or is it what ever the unit runs at?

Most US SWCG require around 3,500 ppm for operation -- this includes the Hayward model above.

The AutoPilot model caught my eye, because it only required 1,000 ppm. I'll see if I can find out if it's brand new (and thus, untested).

the gold line aqua trol has gotten nothing but good reviews, i think i may go with that one. i am just fed up with the traditional method of chlorinating a pool. every year i have algae problems, and i keep up with maintaining my pool on a weekly basis, which is why its is so frustrating. not to mention i think one of my kids is having some sort of allergic reaction chlorine tabs.

i haven't opened the pool yet, here in the northeast its still a bit cool. i am going to get one of these systems and install it when i open the pool. what is the procedure for setting up the pool for the first time?

the water is clear right now, i looked under the cover over the weekend.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...stem-which-one

Quote Originally Posted by mike_311 View Post
    i am just fed up with the traditional method of chlorinating a pool. every year i have algae problems, and i keep up with maintaining my pool on a weekly basis, which is why its is so frustrating. not to mention i think one of my kids is having some sort of allergic reaction chlorine tabs.
    I'm concerned that you may be expecting more from an SWCG than it will deliver.

Here are some cautionary notes . . .

1. A SWCG doesn't do anything for you that you can't do without it. If you're having trouble without an SWCG, you need to identify the reasons, and resolve them. Getting an SWCG can reduce the amount of time you spend on a pool, and provide a more consistent method of chlorination. But, it doesn't solve pool care problems.

2. Only experienced pool owners, using a HiC2 (high chlorine, high CYA) method of treatment (though they may not know it, or call it that) can check their pool just 1x per week without having problems eventually. If you are having problems, and only check the pool weekly, that's where you need to start. You need to get the testkits you need, and check your pool every other day. Once you've worked out your pool's 'pattern', you can cut back to maybe 2x per week. Read this page: How to Get the Right Testkits for your Pool http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?14994

By the way, while SWCG manufacturer guides tend toward a HiC2 approach (CYA > 60 ppm), they do not go far enough to allow for checking the pool only 1x per week.

3. We've looked at the issue of allergic reactions to chlorine very extensively this year, and while allergy-like reactions are often associated with pools and spas, we can find no evidence that chlorine allergies exist. Just for starters, if there were such allergies, people couldn't shower in chlorinated water. There are no known allergies to chlorine; there are no known allergies to cyanuric acid.

There are a variety of issues that ARE connected to allergy-like reactions:
    + use of foamy algaecides
    + use of non-chlorine 'shocks' -- some forms can triggere SEVERE allergies!
    + inconsistent chlorination that alternates between high and low levels of chlorine, resulting in intermediate chlorination by products, some of which are very irritating
    + covers on outdoor pools with significant 'goop' (lotion, sweat, and especially, pee) loads. When chlorine breaks these contaminants down, small amounts noxious gases result. If these cannot escape, due to an air-tight pool covers, and cannot break down further, due to a light-tight (no UV from the sun) cover, severe irritation can result.

You can read these posts for further information:
    Best Method for Pool and Spa Sanitation for Chlorine Allergy
    New endless pool user water treatment

+ Reply to Thread