+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what speed on a variable pump?

Default what speed on a variable pump?

I just installed a pentair intelliflo on my in ground freshly epoxy coated fiberglass pool. It has a 175 sq foot cartridge filter with 1 1/2 pipe coming and going. Pool is approximately 14500 gallons and I have a Hayward suction side cleaner and a skimmer and main drain.
    I never knew the main drain was in play until I did the recoat job and figured out how they plumbed the thing. I have 2 pipes that are in the bottom of the skimmer area. One goes to the pump and the other to the main drain. In order to pull off the bottom I have to hook a hose up in a loop to get the pump to pull off the bottom instead of the skimmer.
    My question is what is the ideal rpm to turn this pool over in the summer and the winter? We are in the pool almost every day during summer( which lasts usually from may to early October sometimes here in Vegas).
    I have found that the Hayward cleaner climbs the best and doesn't try to collapse the hose at around 1200 RPMs, but for turning over where should I run it at?
    12x30, 14,500 gallon FG in-ground pool, intelliflo vs pump, Hayward 175 sq ft cartridge filter

Default Re: what speed on a variable pump?

The pump (at least mine) has a mode where you can set the GPM flowrate. So if you set it at 10 or 11 gpm that will give you one turn-over of 14,500 gallons in 24 hours. If you are on time-of-day electric rates (as I am) you might want to run it more at night and less during the day.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: what speed on a variable pump?

Only the VF has the flow rate mode so it depends on the Intelliflo model. But with single line 1 1/2" plumbing, the flow rate should be close to:

Flow Rate (GPM) = RPM / 48

I would set the pump at 1000 RPM because that is the most efficient setting. Then run the pump for a turnover, ~12 hours, per day to start with and see how that goes.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

+ Reply to Thread