+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water cloudy, have test results

Question Water cloudy, have test results

We opened the pool last week. It was a green nasty mess. Added lots of bleach (about 12-15 gallons) and got it to a blue cloudy mess. I thought it was on the way to clearing up but it has not got any clearer. I took some water to be tested, but I don't know if I should follow the recommendations (using BBB) of amounts to use.

I have an octagon 16,000 gallon, vinyl, in ground pool.

Temperature 73
    Saturation index -0.7
    TDS 1400
    CYA 0
    TC 0.6
    FC 0.5
    PH 7.1
    Tot Alk 68
    Adj Tot Alk 68
    hardness 211

Recommendations:
    17 lbs Balance Pak 100 (Alk), wait 3 hours then apply 1 lb Lo N' Slo (ph), wait 15 mins add 5 lb Stabilizer 100 (CYA), then 2 bags of Burn out 35 (I have no idea what this is supposed to do).

What are your recommendations? Should I add 17 lbs of baking powder????

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Water cloudy, have test results

Absolutely do NOT add 17 lbs. of baking powder! Hopefully, you meant baking soda but even then, you never want to add that much of anything all at one time!

Did you buy all the stuff you mentioned above? I hope not! If you did, can you take most of it back? The only thing you needed to buy from the pool store was the CYA and 5 lbs. of it is about right. That should take you to around 40ppm which would be a good level.

Go to Walmart or whatever and get several boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax (in the laundry aisle) and some more bleach. If they have big bags of baking soda, get one. I think they are 10lb. bags. If Walmart doesn't have the baking soda, Sam's Club does. You're going to need to bump up your pH some. I'd start with a half a box of Borax at a time added slowly to the skimmer while the pump is running. Test it several hours later and redose if you need to to get your pH between 7.4-7.6. Don't worry about the alk for now. You can adjust it a little later.

Keep adding bleach while you are trying to clear your pool. Since your CYA level is 0, you'll want to keep your chlorine level around 10ppm.

I assume you don't have a good test kit. Do yourself a favor and buy the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C from the Amazon link in my signature. And, in the meantime, pick up a cheap OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops). Each evening, add about 3 gallons of 6% bleach unless it is showing dark yellow on your OTO kit. In that case, I'd add a gallon.

Go ahead and put some of the CYA in an old sock and hang it in front of the return jet. It takes several days to dissolve and you'll likely not be able to put 5 lbs. in the sock all at one time. If you give it a squeeze every now and then, it will help it dissolve faster.

Run the pump 24/7 while you are trying to clear the pool. Order the kit so you get it ASAP. Keep us posted how it is going and let us know when you get your kit.

What kind of filter do you have?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

The 17 lbs of Balance pak they want you to add is what we use the baking soda for....however, if you're going to use any chlorination method except for trichlor/dichlor, your alk is fine where it is. If you're going to use trichlor tabs or dichlor powder for chlorination, then you'll want to bump it up some later, but you don't need to worry about baking soda at all for right now. Just follow Watermom's advice to keep the chlorine high and bump the pH up a little bit, while your CYA is dissolving.

The bleach that you added to your pool is killing the algae, but it's going to take filtering to remove it from the water. If you can keep your pump running 24/7 without danger of the skimmer getting clogged up, that's the best thing you can do, but watch your pressure gauge and make sure you're backwashing (sand or DE filter) or cleaning the cartridges (cartridge filter) when the pressure rises between 6 and 8 psi over your "clean" reading.

Janet

Thank you for the reply. I did mean baking soda, LOL. I did not buy any of it because I knew there was a better way to do it...I just didnt know what "it" was.

I have a Hayward sand filter. I will begin adding borax and bleach again this afternoon. Thanks for the help. I will run to the pool company later this week and retest.

Thanks again. SB

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

You would be doing yourself (and your pool!) a HUGE favor by getting and using your own test kit rather than relying on pool store testing. We highly recommend the K-2006 (link via Amazon can be found in mine and Watermom's sigs). It is an investment, but one that will pay for itself multiple times over during this swim season in less frustration, less green water time, and more swim time.

If you get it through the Amazon link, only buy it if Amato Industries is the seller--some of the other companies are substituting the K-2005, which is NOT the same thing.
    Janet

One more question. I was telling my husband all the info. I told him CYA is cyratic acid. He ask cyratic or muratic, I didn't know there was such a thing. Which should he get? Thanks again for all your help.

Cyanuric acid is known also as CYA--it's the stabilizer that you need to protect your chlorine from the sun. It might be labeled cyanuric acid, balancer, condition, or stabilizer, but if you look at the ingredient list, cyanuric or isocyanuric acid is what you want. Muriatic acid is a very strong acid that is used to lower pH. You don't want that one, at least not for now.

Janet

We have been waiting, watching, and testing. The water still looks basically the same. We got a new test this morning:
    Temp: 75
    CYA: 15
    Total chlorine: 8
    Free chlorine: 0
    Ph: 7.9
    Total alk: 97
    Adj tot alk: 93
    Total hardness: 238

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

We are running it 24/7

+ Reply to Thread