Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: spring startup

Post spring startup

Do I need to balance PH and Alkalinity before shocking also need to raise both PH and alkalinity what would be the best procedure .

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: spring startup

Hi Gerald;

I'm assuming you're opening your pool??

1. Add chlorine first: just use bleach at the rate of 1 gallon of plain 6% bleach per 10,000 gallons of water, as soon as you get your pump running.

2. If you don't have one, get a cheap OTO / phenol red test kit, like this one:
    If you like, you can click the picture and order that kit from Amazon, for about $14 . . . or you can go to Walmart and look for something similar. The Taylor kit is a little better than what you'll find at Wally-world.

While you're figuring out what to do next, use bleach and the OTO to maintain chlorine levels at 3 - 5 ppm, by testing and dosing each evening.

3. Tell us what SORT of pool you have -- in ground, above ground; vinyl, concrete, fiberglass; gallons; heater?; SWCG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator). To know what you need to do next, we need to know what sort of pool you have. For example, if you have a concrete pool or a heater, you have to manage your calcium hardness level . . . but with other pools it doesn't matter much.

4. Unless you have a very small pool, or just filled it up, you'll need an accurate test for stabilizer, and 'guess-strips' don't count! You can use the link in my signature to order a K2006 kit from Amazon (or you can search online -- you're not likely to find one locally!) OR you can wait a bit, till you've opened the pool, tested with the OTO/phenol red kit, and let us know what sort of pool you've got.

Good luck!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-03-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Hi Jarsch and welcome to the Pool Forum. Give us a set of current water testing results taken with a drops-based kit and let someone here have a look before giving advice. If you don't have a good kit, you'll need one. We recommend the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C (same kit but 2-oz. vs. 0.75-oz. bottles of reagents and a better buy). You can get it from the Amazon link in my signature below. In the meantime, get a cheap OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops) from Walmart or someplace. Post your results.

Also, give us more information about your pool.

EDIT -- looks like Ben and I were posting at the same time!

my pool is fiberglass 6500 gal test results no chlorine showing ,PH below6.8, alkalinity below 20 ppm using a Pentair test kit but have ordered a taylor 2006c test kit thanks Jarsch

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

The most critical problem you have right now is low pH as any reading below 7.0 is acidic and can damage your pool! We normally recommend using 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry aisle at Walmart) to raise the pH. However, since your alkalinity is also low, you can use Arm and Hammer washing soda to raise both at the same time. Add it slowly to the skimmer, breaking up any clumps, while the pump is running. I'd start with a fourth of a box at a time. Wait a few hours, retest, redose until you get your pH between 7.2-7.8 and your alk between 80-120 or so. (Just an FYI, if you need to raise pH only and not alk, you use Borax.)

Also, get some bleach in there per Ben's instructions before it turns green!

By the way, you can work on pH, alk and chlorine at the same time. No problem.

Good decision buying the good kit. As soon as you get it, post a set of testing results. We really need to know the CYA level to pinpoint our advise more accurately for your pool's chlorine requirements.

Let us know if you have more questions.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

If you can get your pump running add borax slowly to the skimmer, a box every 30 minutes, till you get your pH over 7.0.

Hey thanks you all are great thanks for the advice will get back as soon as i get new test kit and new readings have a great day Jarsch

Hey: Thank you all . I had this pool (fiberglass,6500 gal, in ground chlorine sanitizer ) 10 years . This year is 1st year not stressed because of your help. Received my Taylor 2006c test kit love it. Ran test today results - chlorine none ( put 2 gal. bleach 2 days ago) ,PH 7.8-Alkalinity 80 PPM-Calcium Hardness 150 PPM-Cyanuric Acid 80 PPM. Am trying to balance before opening the pool have pump running cover on. What do I do next? Thanks again Jerry

Forgot to mention I use Trichoro auto despenced. Thanks jerry

You don't need to 'balance' anything; your pH and CYA are on the high end, but not anything you have to change right now.

1. Get a cheap OTO / phenol red kit, in addition to the K2006. You can get the Taylor K1000 (click-pic for Amazon)

or buy something locally. (You'll use this to keep from using up your K2006 unnecessarily.)

2. Check your chlorine in the PM; if the chlorine level is not dark yellow (> 5 ppm) add 1/2 gallon of bleach.

3. Read the Best Guess page (in my signature) and the Muriatic Acid sticky.

4. After you have done so, decide whether you want to use muriatic acid (bought locally) or sodium bisulfate (bought from Amazon or locally):
    . . . OR . . . (click-pic for Amazon)

5. Think about whether you want to run a high CYA / high chlorine pool (1x per week chlorination -- but really weird looks at the pool store) or a conventional pool.

5. Don't use any more trichlor -- or that feeder -- till you decide.

Closed Thread