+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Helping neighbor with pool

jilted is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst jilted 0

Default Re: Helping neighbor with pool

Thanks. I didn't realize the third party rule. :-)

Besides being a nice neighbor, I just wanted some more real world experience in dealing with a troubled pool. I like to learn stuff. :-)
    26,500g inground vinyl liner (new liner installed June 2013)
    Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump - Hayward sand filter (sand changed in spring 2009)
    Compu Pool CPSC36 SWCG - Polaris 380 cleaner

OK! Water totally cleared up overnight and this morning and after adding 3 more boxes of borax pH is pushing 7.5 this afternoon. FC is still high.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

7.5! Perfect! When you can go from sundown one evening to within two hours of sunup the next morning without losing more than 1ppm of chlorine, you might want to hold the chlorine high one more day for added insurance and then let it drift down. Take a look at the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature below for what chlorine levels will be needed for maintenance. No more stabilized forms of chlorine for this pool meaning no more trichlor pucks or dichlor granules. With a CYA of 140, high chlorine levels will be needed all the time or they'll be right back with a green pool again in no time!

What about the CYA level? Should we try to gradually reduce it? They only need 1 more season out of this water before they get a new liner.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Your choice. They can run a pool with high CYA as long as they run high chlorine levels per the Best Guess Chart. Or, they can do a few partial drains and refills. But do NOT totally drain the pool.

EDIT --- Just went back and looked at your original post to find out the volume of this pool. They have a big pool. That would be a lot of wasted water to do drains. Since they are planning on replacing the liner next year, I think I'd just live with the high CYA if it were my pool.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I agree with Watermom. As you help them finish the algae battle ( lose almost no FC overnight and no CC ) start transitioning them to taking care of the pool themselves. Encourge them to start an account here and get a K-2006. They will be able to use the water they have this season - they'll need to run appropriately high FC levels for thier CYA, but no need to dump all that crystal clear water. Thanks for helping your neighbors.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

+ Reply to Thread