+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Overwhelmed by all the pool chemistry

Default Overwhelmed by all the pool chemistry

Holy criminey. We have had a pool for 5 years proceeded by those Intex pools from the smallest to largest the previous 10 and 3 hot tubs. With the hot tubs we just put 3-4 small chlorine tabs in from time to time (few days to a week) and has always been fine. We had to drain the pool the year before last (prior to that we just put in the tablets all the time and shock it here and there but had too much stabilizer (did not know that could happen)... now that we are doing some more testing and I read this thread about startup issues, I wonder how the heck we are going to get this stuff down.

I think I am in need for a pool chemistry for dummies water management flowchart.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 03-30-2012 at 07:28 AM. Reason: moved from 4 year old thread; added link back to that thread.
    14x28 sports bottom vinyl pool w/safety ledge -- ~15k gallons.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Why is my pool so dirty!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darylrue View Post

I think I am in need for a pool chemistry for dummies water management flowchart.
    I know that it seems to be a tremendous amount of information to digest at one time, but it really isn't as complicated as it seems. Start by reading the "stickies" at the top of each forum, then read as much of the forum as you can, and also do some reading at our sister site, Poolsolutions.com. It will all eventually begin to make sense, I promise--and we're always here to answer questions to help you make sense of it!
    Janet

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Why is my pool so dirty!!!

Daryl,

Just tell us where you are with your pool RIGHT NOW, and we'll work you forward, step-by-step.

It is overwhelming at first, especially if you try to make sense of every thing right away. I still remember how I felt when I first really got involved with pool chemistry, about this time of year, 26 years ago. Don't do that . . . because you don't have to do so!

Just tell us where you are, let us help you work from there, and a year from now, you'll be thinking what Aylad said, "this isn't as complicated as it seems".

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Default Re: Overwhelmed by all the pool chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by darylrue View Post
    Holy criminey. ... I read this thread about startup issues, I wonder how the heck we are going to get this stuff down.

You picked the wrong thread to start out with -- avoid those that have "chem geek" posts :-) As Ben noted, start with the stickies.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Overwhelmed by all the pool chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    You picked the wrong thread to start out with -- avoid those that have "chem geek" posts :-) As Ben noted, start with the stickies.
    Be equally cautious about "waterbear" posts until you get your feet wet! (pun intend). Really, it will all fall into plaice pretty quick and we do a lot of hand holding around here!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread