+ Reply to Thread

Thread: using Polyquat

Default using Polyquat

I posted once already but not sure it went through

Should I add Polyquat this spring? When?

Currently my pool is open. Water was balanced and super shocked to 30ppm about 10 days ago.
    FC= 5ppm
    CC=0.5ppm ( had been reading 0 until this evening)
    pH= 7.4
    TA=80
    CH=240
    CYA=60
    Thanks!
    15K fiberglass inground
    SWCG Nano pilot
    Hayward super-pump
    Sta-Rite Cartridge filter
    Heat pump

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: using Polyquat

With a CYA of 60, make sure you keep your chlorine levels up. Take a look at the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature line below.

Also, welcome to the Pool Forum! Hope you enjoy being a member. When you post, your post will not show up immediately on the forum. It goes to a moderation queue to wait until one of us mods it in. That usually happens pretty quickly as we are all on and off the forum multiple times per day.

I'm a new pool owner and just REALLY want to avoid a problem. I found this forum last fall as the pool was being installed. I bought the Taylor kit and followed the advise on this site and found it VERY useful (and fun---my husband says I'm a geek). The pool remained crystal clear and we got to enjoy it for about 5 weeks before needing to close it. So, I don't have much experience yet.
    Thanks!
    Poolhouse
    15K fiberglass inground -- SWCG Nano pilot
    Hayward 1hp super-pump -- Sta-Rite Cartridge filter-Taylor K-2006 test kit

Thanks! I found the Best Guess thread last fall. I've been running my purifier on the Nano at 25% every third night and this is keeping my FC at 7-8 ppm and 0 CC. The use of the SWCG has caused my pH to rise a bit to 7.6-7.8 and the TA is now at 100. Should a add a bit of muriatic acid? Should I consider adding borax as well to help minimize this rise every time I use the SWCG? Or should I just plan on using a the acid every so often?
    Poolhouse

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Using the borax will slow your pH rise, once you lower it, but won't actually change the amount of acid it takes to maintain your pH. In other words, with borax added your pool's pH may rise from, say, 7.7 to 7.8 in the time it previously rose from 7.7 to 7.9. But if so, it will take about the same acid to move the pH back to 7.7 from 7.8, that it previously took to move it from 7.9 to 7.7.

Borax is a buffer at the high end of your pool's pH range -- and a buffer is just something that makes your water require more acid to change pH, either UP or DOWN.

So, do as you like. You'll need to add enough borax to get your levels to 50+ ppm to see significant effects, and then add enough acid to compensate. Or, you can just buy 7 - 9 boxes of borax and 3 gallons of acid, and add the borax a couple of boxes at a time, till you get there.

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread