+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie Needing AG Pool Guidance from the pros...

Cool Newbie Needing AG Pool Guidance from the pros...

So glad I found this site! We're finally ready to purchase an AG pool and I'm so afraid of making the wrong decision that I'm enlisting the poolforum pros for guidance. The facts:

Live in North East (outside of Boston)
    Interested in 21"
    Children are 4 and 9

Currently have two options:
    1st: Sharkline Oceanic 20' round (galvanized steel) / 54" w/ decent pkg. for $4099. plus install fee
    2nd: Vista 21' round (aluminum) / 52", w/ pkg. for $2574.00 plus install fee

Clearly option 2 is significantly cheaper but that's because a relative has a "source" for the Vista but not the Sharkline. My heart was originally set on the 54" but to save almost $1500 I'm wondering if it's not a big deal. We can afford to get either option but if option 2 is the same or better pool why spend the extra money. Also they are two different materials, is one better over the other in the North East. The rails on option 1 are 10" vs. 6" but I assume that's because of the depth? Maybe? Anyhow, all and any advice is appreciated! Hoping to buy in the next week.

Susan

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Newbie Needing AG Pool Guidance from the pros...

Welcome to the forum!

Above ground construction is not my forte', so I'll let others handle it. I will move the thread to the right section.

================================================== ======================

[ In the "for what it's worth" category, the IP you used to register, which is ID'd as "chelsea-ce.itd.state.ma.us", has been used very recently to spam forums like this one. In fact, if you hadn't BOTH subscribed AND given me your address and such, I would have automatically put your registration in the "really suspicious" usergroup we use here.

It appears that someone inside your organization has been using the state's network to do free lance paid SEO (Search Engine Optimization) work, in which scumbags are paid to do things that make dodgy websites rank higher on Google, so they can sell things, like magical herbs which will give you an elephant's body part. You might want to save these links:
    http://www.projecthoneypot.org/ip_170.63.96.108 , and
    http://stopforumspam.com/ipcheck/170.63.96.108
    and pass it on to whoever there oversees network security . . . providing you can do so without getting yourself in trouble. The problem may be cleaned up now, but the dirty history associated with your organization's outgoing Internet connection will remain on records for several years.
    ]

================================================== ======================

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

One thing to consider regarding pool wall height is your local builing code. Many (most / all) codes for pool construction require an "effective barrier" (fence) to keep little ones from toddling into the pool. AG pool walls are often acceptable as a barrier but must meet a certain height - often defined locally. Check with your local building inspector. The construction office in my town gave me a package that outlined all the requirements.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    One thing to consider regarding pool wall height is your local builing code. Many (most / all) codes for pool construction require an "effective barrier" (fence) to keep little ones from toddling into the pool. AG pool walls are often acceptable as a barrier but must meet a certain height - often defined locally. Check with your local building inspector. The construction office in my town gave me a package that outlined all the requirements.
    Thanks BigDave - Got the fence last season in preparation. Would love to get some replies from on the two pool model were looking at described in OP. Please :-)

Thank.s
    looking to buy an above-ground pool!

Definitely check with the building inspector about fencing. Our municipality required a fence even though we have an AGP.

The difference in price is considerable. Of course, the primary reason is the construction of steel vs aluminum rather than the depth. I would not take the 2" depth difference into consideration when making a decision. It's not going to affect your swimming pleasure. I would consider construction, warranty, and equipment: what kind of pump and filter comes with either of these pools?
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Susan;

I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you, waiting for specific replies on THOSE models.

Right now, there are only about 500 people who are logging on to PoolForum each week, and most of those are asking, not answering, questions. There are a BAZILLION lurkers, but of course, they can't answer, either. (A lot of people prefer to lurk -- my wife lurks on 3 or 4 forums and blogs, and has for years. Those sites aren't as picky about registration as I am, but she still won't register. Not quite sure why.)

Anyhow, AG pool models and brands are sort of like viruses -- constantly mutating. There are a few companies with stable brands and models, like Doughboy, but many companies change owners, designs, models and even brands on a frequent basis. This makes it nearly impossible to find reliable and meaningful comparison data on a specific brand, much less a specific model within that brand.

You can ask about features, and expect some answers. But not so much, about a specific model of a specific brand. If you really need to hear from someone who's seen THAT model, you might want to save the link to your post, and then 'bump' it up about May 25 -- many of the PoolForum regulars will have begun checking back in, by that time.

OK, thank you PoolDoc
    looking to buy an above-ground pool!

+ Reply to Thread