+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Northstar pump motor replacement

Default Northstar pump motor replacement

HELP! I'm new to the forum so please be gentle.

Here's my problem
    My pool is now 8 years old. When it was built, the builder installed a Hayward Northstar pool pump. The pump itself has been ok. My problem is the pump motor was replaced 3 years ago due to bearing failure. Well it's done it again. The bearings are whining away and I'm sure the motor is not long for this world. I've found replacement motors on-line for $265.00 + shipping ($29.95)
    My questions are
    How difficult is it to change-out and how do you change it out? (I'm fairly handy)
    Do I need any additional parts? i.e. seals, impeller, etc. If so what do I need?
    What can be done to extend the life of the motor?
    Anything I'm missing or need to know?
    The 3 year old replacement motor is a A.O. Smith Century Centurion USN 1202 2 H.P. it has the part number of 7-193687-02
    Thanks in advance for your replies

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Northstar pump motor replacement

Replacing a motor is not too hard but you should be familiar with electrical wire and proper handling of electricity before attempting something like this. The only things you need are the new motor and a seal kit.

As for preventing this in the future, you need too give us some details on your setup and location. Location can be important if you winterize and are not pulling the pump each winter. Your setup can be important if there is a reason the pump is operating too far outside the best efficiency point. So questions:

Do you winterize and if so, what do you do with the pump
    Pump Model#
    Height of pump relative to the pool water level
    Diameter and number of individual suction pipes from the equipment to the pool
    Diameter and number of individual return pipes from the equipment to the pool
    Diameter and number of return eyeballs
    Distance from the pool to the equipment
    Filter type and backwash valve model if known
    Filter PSI with a clean filter.
    Heater - yes or no
    Pool/Spa Valve - yes or no (If there is a spa, the number of jets and size)
    Check Valves - Number and locations
    Last edited by mas985; 03-28-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Added question
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

[ broken quote removed -- moderator ]

Thanks for getting back with me so quickly. I have no issues with working with electricity my only problem is how to put on the seals in.
    Here's the info on my pool

+ Location - Central FL Orlando area so we dont winterize pump runs 6 hours a day in the winter and 8 in the summer

+Pump Model# don’t know it's a Northstar 2hp

+ Height of pump relative to the pool water level - Don’t know but I have never had an issue with losing the prime or priming the pump and filter even after cleaning

+ Diameter and number of individual suction pipes from the equipment to the pool - I think 2"

+ Diameter and number of individual return pipes from the equipment to the pool - I think 2"

+ eyeballs - 5 in the pool and 6 in the spa

+ Distance from the pool to the equipment 20' est.

+ Filter type and backwash valve model if known Hayward quad with no backwash
    PSI 24

+ Heater - Hayward heatpump

+ Pool spa - yes 6 1 1/2 "

+ Check valves????

I've been told by a pool repair guy that my problem is my roof runoff is falling directly on the motor and shortening the life. He suggested putting up a gutter over the pool equipment

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

The plumbing is a little on the small side for that size pump but nothing serious and not much you can do about is anyway. Because of the spa, I think you would do best with a two speed motor replacement of the same size and definitely build something to keep the water off the pump motor. The two speed will help save in energy costs and low speed is all your pool should really need.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Welcome to the Forum!

Please listen to Mark!!

The Northstar is something of a "lemon" However, I've changed out a few dozen motors and will help you with the 'nuts and bolts' of the changeout.

Pick up a new shaft seal assembly (SPX4000SA2), trying to reuse one, no matter it's age is a very BAD idea.

My participation here is lower than I'd like, due to a computer hacker and a job I just started which has 'grueling' hours. I'll check in at least on the weekends and will assist you with the motor swap.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Quote Originally Posted by waste View Post
    The Northstar is something of a "lemon" However, I've changed out a few dozen motors and will help you with the 'nuts and bolts' of the changeout.
    I have two going on 7 years now without issue. Just curious what have you been experiencing?
    Mark

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    and definitely build something to keep the water off the pump motor.
    Mark, does this apply to normal rain, too, or just excessive runoff like the OP has?
    Janet

My response was mainly because the OP thought it was causing the problem and he had runoff from the roof. Normally, rain shouldn't be an issue but if you have runoff from a roof, that can work its way into places it shouldn't be. The Northstar is a pretty well sealed pump motor so I am actually surprised they had this problem. Both of my pumps are out in the open but our rain is usually mild.

The OPs problem could also be poorly manufactured seals. If those fail, then the water will get into the bearings and they too will shortly fail.
    Mark

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    . If those fail, then the water will get into the bearings and they too will shortly fail.

Yep, that's why I just had to replace my motor. Just checking to see if covering my motor somehow would make any difference in its lifespan. No runoff issues for me, though--there's nothing at all above my pump/motor, and it sits on a concrete pad.

Didn't mean to hijack the post--now back to the original poster's issues!!

Janet

I definitely have a roof runoff issue. The water runs off the roof and hits the back of the pump motor. To remedy this I have installed a 12' section of gutter over the equipment as well as I will be putting a motor cover on the new motor. The previous 2 motor died from bearing failure.
    By the way I bought the new replacement motor and impeller kit with seals on E-Bay for $288.00 and with all the help you guys have given me it should be a piece of cake and I save $300.00 over the last replacement. So thank you all!

+ Reply to Thread