+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skimmer Help

Default Skimmer Help

I'm in the early planning stages for an in ground pool. Trying to figure out the best components for my pool (pump, filter, cleaning system, etc) and this forum has been terribly helpful thus far. I'm trying to get some insight on skimmers. A local pool company strongly recommends something called EcoSkim by A&A Manufacturing. It is supposed to be more energy efficient and effective than other skimmers. Does anyone have experience with this skimmer? Or is there a list of preferred skimmers?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Skimmer Help

I assume you're talking about this device:
    http://www.aamfg.com/quikSkim.php
    rather than this one
    http://www.ecoskim.com.au/content/view/5/40/ ??

As far as I can see, it's just a skimmer with a slightly improved weir. But it looks like their comparison video is their skimmer, with the weir IN, compared to another skimmer, with the weir REMOVED.

They do NOT do an careful, apples-to-apples comparison that would allow you to make a reasonable judgement. On the other hand, A & A has been around a number of years, and has never been known for selling junk.

My guess is, they've build a skimmer that's a little more optimized for the low flows common on pools with variable speed pumps. If it were me, and I had no access to better comparison data than what's on their website, I might be willing to spend $50 per skimmer more, but that would be the limit.

As far as preferred skimmers, the Hayward Auto-Skim

is what I've always used, and prefer to the StaRite and American skimmers that used to be common. The model shown is for concrete pools, but they are both vinyl and FG models.

However, I've never done a comprehensive side by side comparison. I can say that the skimmers with 'weirs' that float inside the skimmer basket are a total pain -- get one with a flap-weir, like the one here, where you can see the weir just inside the throat of the skimmers. Using a weir does matter, and more so at low flows, than high.

+ Reply to Thread