+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Circupool Review

Default Looking for Circupool Review

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE:

Don Uhle, owner of Circupools, contacted me with both information and references, and provided very reasonable evidence that his company and his products are legitimate.

The information I had collected and posted below was not inaccurate, but it did give a misleading impression so I have removed it.

I should also add that Don has been very patient with me about updating this, and I am embarrassed that it has taken me so long to fix it.

PoolDoc
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
    I'm a new user here, and went over the forums seeking information on Circupool review as I see they are well priced and fit my budget.
    I have a 36,000 L (~10,000 Gal) in-ground pool and am considering the RJ20 model.
    The SWCG comparison thread didn't list them, and searching the forums I only found couple of posts, most relevant of which being this.
    Circupool-SWCG
    I'm not sure I understand the response given by poolsean, perhaps there's a subtle message that a newbie like me wouldn't catch.

Basically I'd like to get others opinions whether Cirupool is a good choice to consider or should I stay away from it.
    The feature set and the price point is appealing to me, however as they say it, the devil is in the details.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated, their pre-season specials end on March 31st 2012, so I prefer to commit before the deadline assuming that it is a worthy option deemed by the experts here.

Thanks

=======================================

PoolDoc Note:

I've split this thread into the ORIGINAL topic:
    Looking-for-Circupool-Review
    and the FINAL topic:
    Decided-on-AquaRite
    This thread is the Circupool thread, and most of the AquaRite discussion has been deleted.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-10-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: fix indoor vs in-ground typo per poster

Default Re: Looking for Circupool Review

Wow Ben,
    that's amazing research you did, much much appreciated, are you also a PI by any chance

You certainly convinced me to stay away, even if the unit is good and legitimate, I'd have no assurance that in few years when the cells die, it would still be in business or these model parts would be easily available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PoolDoc note: the deleted material above showed that Don had been involved in a number of small businesses, on and off the Internet, thus leading to the conclusion that Circu-Pool might not be around for a long time. As noted above, this turned out to be an unjustified conclusion.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the RJ20 (20,000 Gal) unit on special @ $579 was very appealing, though if I need to replace it with another unit when the cell dies won't be very appealing.

What would you recommend for a pool of my Size, obviously I prefer just like anyone else I prefer not spend too much, however it's more important for me to get a reliable unit that would last for a long time and parts would remain to be easily available in years to come.

I live in Canada in a colder climate, and have no heater
    Will install it myself.

Also, is a model for 20,000 Gal pool a good size to look at? (my pool is 10,000 Gal)

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-10-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: correction notice

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Best unit? I don't know. I only have personal experience with the Pentair units, but it's my impression that they are NOT the best. PoolSean can't recommend his (by forum rules) but I do get the impression that a lot of people prefer the AutoPilot.

Size? Buy big, but make sure you can turn it down. SWCG life is a function of cell on-time. A unit that's 2x larger will be on 1/2 as much . . . but does NOT usually cost 2x as much. The only problems with a much over-sized unit is if you can't turn it low enough. HOWEVER, if you install the power supply with a PLUG-IN connection, you can put a plug in outdoor time clock between the power and the power supply, and that will allow you to turn the SWCG down as much as you like, if you buy a unit that isn't sufficiently adjustable.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

My recommendation would be a pool pilot with the RC-42 cell or R-52 cell or a Hayward/Goldline Auqarite with a T-15 cell. Both are proven, dependable units from majro companies with good track records. Personally I would stay away from the Zodiac units (which include Jandy since they are owned by Zodiac).
    Pentair units have had problems in the past but my understanding is that they have solved their problems. I have no direct experience with them. WaterMaid units are also worth looking into. They are an Austrailian company but do have US distribution channels.

Just my 2 cents.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by badabing View Post
    Many of the sellers they give limited time 15-30 days for a return on a defective product.
    I wouldn't buy it, till I was ready to use it. If you wait a month or so to install it, you won't likely get full replacement if DOA. I don't know specifically about Hayward handling warranties. In my case, I've usually purchased wholesale, so if it breaks, whether it's Pentair or Hayward , I still just take it back to my local SCP, and say "Here, it broke. Gimme my money back!"

You're not going to get that result from buying online. You aren't going to get (I don't think) fast in-season warranty response from the majors --they are swamped, too. I know that my local SCP tends to pile up difficult warranty stuff till August or September, when they've got more time to fight over it.

If you can find a trustworthy local seller or installer . . . you'll get much better response if something goes wrong. You're unlikely to be able to duplicate that online. I've never returned anything to Amazon, but I've heard they'll give you your money back, if you get it back to them AND if THEY sold it. But most of the SWCGs I liked to on Amazon were 3rd party sales, and I've heard mixed stories about those.

Bottom line: if you are are really worried about warranty, hunt for a trustworthy local, and pay the extra it takes to buy from him. In part, the money you save online is a trade-off for greater risk and less service.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-10-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: remove previously deleted material

Unfortunately, life often presents us with two choices, neither of which is optimal.

I got this response from Don Uhele on that other website
    Our company, Discount Salt Pool, is the exclusive distributor for CircuPool in the USA. The units are made by Compu Pool in Australia, in business since 1979.
    I was wrong they do sell other SWCG on their website, I was on the comparison page http://www.discountsaltpool.com/Full...Comparison.htm which only has a link to Circupool brand, not the homepage. What still makes me skeptical is their top models make so much more chlorine than the Compu pool.

I finally got AquaRite 40K with T-15 Cell installed and I have a concern / question.

================================

PoolDoc note: at this point the thread took a new direction: those posts are now here:
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?16244

Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-29-2012 at 01:26 PM.
    10,000 gallon inground pool

+ Reply to Thread