Closed Thread

Thread: Concrete block method

Default Concrete block method

Does anyone still use the old concrete block method for building pool walls? I am sure the ways used today are much better but what happens with concrete blocks in time? Do they break down?

I even saw someone on ebay selling pool plans and using treated wood for the pool walls inground. I'm sure that won't last in a few years!

Default Re: Concrete block method

My pool was built in 1978 with concrete blocks, vinyl liner, and a sand bottom and it is still holding up fine today. It also has concrete poured down into the center of the blocks. Two walls are 8" block and the other are 12" block. They had planned on making it an indoor pool someday so the extra 4" is for a outside wall. It's had 3 liners.

I had a friend that built one with the treated plywood. It lasted about 10 years and then the liner failed. They were tired of it at that point and filled it in. Wasn't very expensive to build and it was a lot cheaper to fill in since it didn't have as much concrete.

If I was going to build one today I would go with the polymer wall vinyl liner pool kit with a sand bottom. To me the sand bottom is very forgiving if it happens to shift any...I live in a area that has earthquakes on occasions and they tell us we are going to have a big one in the near future

Wow! I'm surprised the treated plywood lasted that long. And not bad for a liner lasting 10 years. I read they generally will go about 7 years plus.

I'm building a spa using concrete blocks with plans I bought from custombuiltspas.com and the manual I got has ALOT of information and pictures. The best I have ever seen. He also has a manual for larger swim spas and small pools using the same method with reinforced walls so thats why I was asking. But I'm still surprised with the plywood that long!

Warren

My pool was built in 82 with steel walls & a vinyl liner. The original liner lasted until 2004 - no kidding. When we replaced the liner, the pool-side of the walls were in very good condition - some minor rust from water under the liner on 2 panels. We had some lines replaced last week and were able to see the dirt-side of the walls and there's no rust at all on them - they still look great. I should also add that the contractor had backfilled crushed bluestone around the perimeter and we let is sit a year before pouring th econcrete so everything would settle. I suspect that the stone aids in draining ground water away from the walls to a degree.
    18x42 Spartan Roman End Vinyl Inground (1981)
    1HP Hayward Superpump -- Hayward Perflex EC-65 DE Filter

duraleigh Guest

Hi,

I finished this one (to the point of adding water...still not "done") a couple of years ago. You certainly can't do a free form shape but the corners are rounded and it looks pretty professional. It has a vinyl liner but ceramic waterline tile.
    Attached Images

Duraleigh,
    Nice pool.
    I noticed your liner go over your steps (I believe). How safe do you think that would be if you have dogs? My pool doesn't have any built-in steps and I am thinking about adding some when I replace the liner during a remodel. I currently have drop in plastic steps but I don't really like the look of them. My dogs don't get in except when it gets really hot but I worry their nails may rip the liner.

duraleigh Guest

SLS,

Yes, my liner goes over the steps. I don't think I would recommend linered steps with dogs. That seems like a problem waiting to happen.

I've seen other posts on the forum about dogs and vinyl pools. Someone else may chime in who has some experience.......positive or negative.
    Last edited by duraleigh; 05-18-2006 at 09:15 PM.

How does it work to have a vinyl liner AND a tiled water line? It looks awesome - but I'm trying to understand how /where the liner bead sets and how water doesn't get behind the liner (as my husband says, the squirrel is on the wheel in my head again . . .
    18x42 Spartan Roman End Vinyl Inground (1981)
    1HP Hayward Superpump -- Hayward Perflex EC-65 DE Filter

duraleigh Guest

Kirsten,

The liner inserts into a channel mounted into the pool wall. (see pic) "Bead-loc" is then inserted into the channel, locking in the liner and waterproofing the seal. The tile is installed directly onto the concrete wall (just above the channel) with standard thinset installation methods.
    Attached Images

Closed Thread