+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Above Ground Pool Step Weights?

Question Above Ground Pool Step Weights?

We have steps inside our pool rather then a traditional ladder. It came w/ 3 giant ziploc bags to fill w/ sand & place under the steps. Well to make a long short it was a disaster. So a last minute decision we used bricks & weights (from a weighting bench) to hold the steps done temporarily... This year we were looking for a more permanent & easier solution. Please help!

Edit by Aylad--removed link

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: step weights?

Hi Sheila,

In an effort to get your post modded into the forum as quickly as possible, I removed the link that you had posted. Otherwise, it would have had to wait for Ben to approve it, and he still probably would have removed it. Just a part of the security policies that Ben has.

I'm sure that you'll get plenty of suggestions to answer your question, but in the meantime, you can use the Google search feature linked in my sig to search the forum for information. I know that weighting down steps has been discussed in the past.
    Janet

http://www.shopthegreatescape.com/cl...tempicture.jpg
    (these are the steps)

Can I add the photo in this way?

You may want to take a look at how we weighed down our steps. We constructed PVC tubes filled with concrete. The link is in my signature line.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I weighed my steps down with 1 liter soda bottles filled with gravel and water - I put a little bleach in each bottle to prevent algae.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Thanks! I checked out the link, seems easy & cheap! Definitely gonna have to try that. It seems really easy to place & remove, rather then bricks & weight lifting weights! We'll just have to figure out how to tie them on to our steps.

@ Big Dave, just simply tightening the caps on worked? & have any of your bottles broke while in the pool?

The PVC tubes are very easy to place and remove. One person can do it and you don't have to get in the pool, a real plus since the water is usually pretty cold when we put the steps in and take them out. How to place them or attach them depends on the construction of the steps themselves.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

That's exactly why I am so excited to try the pvc pipe ones... It was group effort to get them in & out when we used the sand bags (which bursted in the pool), the bricks, the weights. :/ My plan for tomorrow is to try to figure how to tie them to my steps while they are not currently in the pool.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Nothing broke, no problems at all. Completely full of water - I closed them under water after filling and stored them through the winter in the attached garage to prevent freezing. I got the idea from AnnaK's weights but I don't have wedding cake steps, I have a more upright hollow plastic ladder, the pvc tubes wouldn't fit as well for me as the 1 liter bottles are rounded and fit my application better.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

+ Reply to Thread