+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Light green water

Default Re: Light green water

I did get and used a Taylor k-2006 test kit. That's what my last results came from. The calcium must be in our well water. Yes, I have a sand filter but thought Icouldn't use cal hypo because I have a vinyl liner? I have a SWCG but don't have it on yet. Should I just start that?
    Intex 16'x32'x52" model #54985 with ~14,500 gallons, filled with iron contaminated well water.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Wow! That is truly bizarre, if the calcium is the well water. OK.

1. Cal hypo is fine in vinyl IF you don't drop it on the liner. (That's not why I want it in the skimmer, but adding it via the skimmer serves the purpose.)

2. You have the Intex SWCG w the copper? Can you disable the copper part? (Regardless: NO, don't start it yet. We need to get everything right, first.)

3. Please test your fill water, directly from whatever source you fill your pool. Please run it for at least 2 MINUTES before you collect a sample, so we're testing what ends up in the pool when you fill for awhile. (Ideally, collect your sample after you've been using water in the house, so the well pump has been running. But STILL run it for 2 minutes.)

[ Just had a thought: could you have rusting pipes putting the iron in the well water? It's just very, very unusual to have calcium and iron in the same well water. ]

4. If you can find a really clean white bucket, fill it with this water, after you collect a sample and then cover it with a towel, to keep dirt and sun out, but not air. Check it after 24 hours, to see what if anything has settled. And THEN test it.

(Don't run CYA test on any of these samples: it will use up your reagent, and you already know there's no CYA in that water. Unless you have a chlorine feed pump, you don't need to check chlorine in the well samples.)

I have a doctor appointment in the city tomorrow. I will stop and get cal hypo and do the testing of hydrant water when I get back.
    Intex 16'x32'x52" model #54985 with ~14,500 gallons, filled with iron contaminated well water.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

about 1/3 lb in the skimmer at a time. You must be 100% sure no other chemicals are in the skimmer, or anywhere between the skimmer and the filter. The pump must be on, and remain on for at least 30 minutes after.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner but am 45 and 7 months pregnant. Have not been feeling well. Anyway, my pool is a slight color away from being clear. I tested my hydrant water which is where we fill from. The PH is 7.2, alkalinity is 375, and calcium is 310. I just received a test bottle from our health department to test our iron, manganese, and copper. I will have those in a couple of weeks. However, I expect it to come back high in iron and possibly manganese too. I know the copper isn't high because I've tested that and besides our house is old enough they used cost pipes not copper back then. I have a question. I'm pretty sure I killed any green algae there may have been. However, every morning when I go out and look there is a dark green or brown sticky substance along all the seems. Would that be black or mustard algae? How do I get rid of it because heavy shock, brushing, and vacuuming does nothing, it just comes back.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I'm going to let Ben address the first of your questions. But, regarding the seams of the liner ------------ my guess is that it is pollen and dirt that have settled in those lines. My liner pools have always done the very same thing. I can vacuum the pool and have it supposedly pristine. But, the vacuuming process has fine particles (dust, pollen) stirred up into the water. Then when the pump is shut off and the water gets still, that fine stuff settles back to the floor of the pool and settles in those lines. Happens over and over and has been true of every liner I have had. I cleaned my pool yesterday, but I'm pretty sure if I went out to look, I'd see those lines of debris. Not a lot you can do about that, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Watermom; 04-08-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerdee View Post
    The PH is 7.2, alkalinity is 375, and calcium is 310.
    In my experience, it would be extraordinary for water like that to contain iron . . . and it's very unlikely that that water would cause iron to rust much, either.

I'm not sure what's going on -- I'll very interested to see the test results on the samples you sent in. Meanwhile, just chlorinate and filter. Seriously, a clean white 5 gallon bucket, filled with 4 gallons of tap water will tell you a lot. Add a teaspoon of bleach each day, and stir. See what settles out.

Sorry you're having challenges with your pregnancy -- hopefully, it won't get too hot before you deliver!

Thank you. I had two spinal fusions and a discectomy so I have a hard time carrying the extra weight. I'll get through it but can tell when I've over done it, lol. Anyway I will do the bucket thing as soon as I can. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for your help.

+ Reply to Thread