+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pool pH is at the "ideal" level, but alkalinity is super high

Default Pool pH is at the "ideal" level, but alkalinity is super high

First time pool owner here, got one of those Intex metal frame pools. Going on my 3rd week of trying to figure out chemicals... finally got the pool chlorinated after using liquid bleach to boost it up... and got the pH level to an ideal level according to one of those liquid testing kits that uses the little drops and stuff to measure... the strips seems to agree even though I've read they're not that accurate. Chlorine seems to be at a good level too. But when I measure the alkalinity, it's super high, like 200-250ppm+. The chlorine and pH levels seem to be pretty stable though, they haven't really changed over the past several days... even after a huge storm last night, pH is still good. I've tried to lower the alkalinity... but doesn't seem to do much. Should I worry about it or is there anything I can do?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Pool pH is at the "ideal" level, but alkalinity is super high

Hi Mind;

1. Do not worry about alkalinity or calcium. Do not ADD anything to raise them.
    2. If you have an OTO/phenol red kit, good. If not, get one (drops that turn yellow if chlorine is present)
    3. Tell us how many gallons are in your pool -- or which Intex model it is -- or what diameter and wall height it is.
    4. Tell us what chemicals you've been using since you last filled the pool.
    5. Tell us what your strips say the CYA (stabilizer) level is.
    6. Add 1/4 gallon of bleach per 5,000 gallons of pool water each EVENING; skip if OTO results are dark yellow the following evening.

1. Awesome, because we've been hesitant to swim in the pool since it was so high thinking it might not be good. Haven't added anything (to my knowledge) to raise it, only to try to lower.
    2. I have a "Pool Shop 5-Way Pool Test Kit " http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ec...&storeId=10051 , link shows it's a 4-way test kit, but the one I picked up at Home Depot is 5-way (think it tests bromine too or something) ... is that kit any good? It does use drops and such that change colors (turns yellow for chlorine, the red drops for pH, blue and stuff for alkalinity)
    3. We have the Intex 5061-Gallon Above-Ground Pool, Model #: 54451LW from Lowe's: http://www.lowes.com/pd_317878-15697...ool&facetInfo= ... though I could have sworn the manual said it held more than that.
    4. We just got the pool brand new and set up a few weeks ago, but since, I've used HTH pH Minus, HTH chlorine tablets in one of those floating dispensers, HTH algae guard, HTH super shock n' swim... I also have available (but not yet used) HTH pH Up and HTH Alkalinity Up that I wish I could return but can't find the receipt (I know, I'm an idiot, currently kicking myself for not checking this forum and poolsolutions.com first)
    5. Strips say CYA is at 30-50, which according to the little chart on the box, is "ideal"
    6. Did that since I had the chlorine tablets in there floating around for 1-2 weeks without any kind of chlorine level readings ever showing up... until I poured bleach in there, both strips and drops said there was pretty much no chlorine in there... now the level has been good for 5+ days

I should also add the water is a *little* cloudy looking... nothing horrible but definitely not crystal clear.
    Intex #54451 Ultra-Frame - 5061 gallons

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

OK.

+ Your test kit is fine -- but test chlorine FIRST, and if it's above 5.0, don't bother testing pH -- you won't get an accurate reading.

+ Do have someone else in the household check and confirm your readings -- about 3% of guys are color-blind, and about 10% (in my experience) are color-dumb. [By that I mean, they haven't ever paid enough attention to colors, to have learned to distinguish them well. Really!] It can cause a lot of problems if you aren't reading your kit correctly.

+ Don't swim unless the chlorine is above 2.0.

+ Add 1/8 - 1/4 gallon of bleach after folks swim, till we've got your routine established.

+ The HTH pH Minus, HTH Alkalinity Up (baking soda!), HTH pH Up (washing soda!) are all OK -- but you'll probably only use the pH Minus. If you use 1/2 cup of the washing soda with each load of really dirty clothes -- you'll get them cleaner.

+ Photograph the ingredients part of the HTH chlorine tablets, algae guard, & shock-n-swim. Those are suspect. Notice particularly if the tablets or shock list copper-anything on the label. If they do, stop using them! I'm going to check, and see if I have the MSDS & labels on those.

+ The Intex model number is "54451xx". On yours, the "LW" means Lowes model. Here's an Intex page: http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/54451eb.html

+ Intex pools to not have crystal clear water, unless you get a bigger filter. They are NOT forgiving: if you let algae get started, it can take weeks to return to clear water, unless you drain and refill. BUT, they'll do fine, if you don't let that happen . . . and DO add a chlorine dose after each heavy swimmer load.

+ Let me know if you have access to a Sams Club. We may be able to get you on a 2 chemical program, using stuff from Sams and Walmart.

+ OK =>
    -- "HTH Algae Guard" (not Algae Guard Concentrate) is 5 - 10% linear quat. Stop using it. You can use it to scrub slimy sidewalks, if you like.
    -- "HTH Shock-n-Swim" is a cal hypo + magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) blend. It would be OK to use, if your alkalinity were lower. For now, seal it up, and stop using it. Here's the ingredient list:
    CALCIUM HYPOCHLORITE 7778-54-3 40 - 55
    SODIUM CHLORIDE 7647-14-5 5 - 15
    CALCIUM CHLORATE 10137-74-3 0 - 4
    CALCIUM CHLORIDE 10043-52-4 0 - 4
    CALCIUM HYDROXIDE 1305-62-0 0 - 5
    CALCIUM CARBONATE 471-34-1 0 - 4
    MAGNESIUM SULFATE HEPTAHYDRATE 10034-99-8 25 - 35
    Water 7732-18-5 17 - 22
    -- You'll need to give me an EXACT name of the triclor tabs, before I can look them up. BUT, most of the Arch / HTH trichlor products are messed up blends.
    -- Go ahead and send me photos (poolforum@gmail.com) if possible.

- Always have been testing chlorine first... didn't know I needed to though, lol, was just the first test on the list.

- My girlfriend is usually out there with me when I test and she looks at it too, so far we've pretty much agreed on colors

- So far, chlorine has been between ideal and the top color which I believe is 5.0

- Will do, just bought a big 3 gallon bottle of generic brand bleach

- So far I've only used pH Minus... wish I could return pH Plus and Alkalinity Plus as I doubt I'll ever need them... any generic chemical I can buy for the pH Minus?

- Good to know it won't have crystal clear water... it did when I first filled it but then again it was just fresh water... as soon as I started trying to balance stuff is when it stopped being super clear.

- I don't personally have access to a Sams... but I'm sure I know someone who does and will go with us... and if we really can get to a 2 chemical program, thus reducing many headaches for me, I think it'd be worth going and getting a membership anyhow... it's something we've wanted to do anyhow, lol

- As soon as I post this I'll be pulling photos off my phone I just took of everything I've used so far, email will be coming from mindleak -at- gmail.

I'll watch for the photos.

They should be there by now hopefully... they show sent as of about 2 hours ago... but quick question, do you think it'd be safe for me and the gf to jump in since the chlorine and pH is good?

If pH and chlorine are OK, it's reasonably safe to swim.

You don't want kids in cloudy water, however -- it's too easy to lose one on the bottom!

It's not too cloudy... just barely... can see the bottom very well... plus no kids anyhow

Did the pics of the chemicals ever come through?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Hi Mind!

You can use the pH Up! in your laundry (if it's Sodium Carbonate) as a nice booster.
    Alkalinity Up! is baking soda. You could use it to keep your fridge sweet-smelling.
    pH Minus can be replaced by either Muriatic Acid, available at hardware stores. Muriatic is the best way to lower pH but you do have to be very careful using it--wear goggles and gloves, pour it into a 5 gal bucket of water before adding it to the pool.
    But pH Minus is what is generically called "Dry Acid" and is sold as that, much cheaper. Also easier to handle than Muriatic Acid.

What needs to be stated explicitly: Generally, if your chlorine level is good and your pH level is good, your pool is safe to swim in.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread