+ Reply to Thread

Thread: questions about cleaning nasty pool

Default questions about cleaning nasty pool

I live in Mississippi and normally keep my pool up and running during the winter months. This past winter, however, I had a leak in a pipe and couldn't afford to get it fixed at the time so just shut the pump off. Needless to say, it's a mess now. It has lots of organic matter in the bottom (I can't see it, but have trees around) and I've been using a leaf rake to remove. I went ahead and put 30 pounds of shock as I've been raking the bottom, and the color changed from a deep green to a muddy brown, but at least it's not slimy anymore. My question is do I continue to add shock, or should I wait until I have got most if not all of the organic matter out? I don't want to spend lots on shock just to have it eaten by bacteria, but I don't want it to get back to the slimy state. I have not had any water tested to this point. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: questions about cleaning nasty pool

You'll use a HUGE amount of chlorine -- whether it's shock or not -- trying to oxidize all the goop in the sludge. There may be an easier / cheaper way. Do this:

1. Physically remove all the debris and leaves you can.
    2. Make sure your pump & filter are working.
    3. Get a cheap OTO / phenol red testkit (DROPS!) and test your pH and chlorine.
    4. Don't add more chemicals now.
    5. Answer these questions:

+ Do you have access to a Sams Club?
    + What kind of filter do you have (sand, de, cartridge) and what kind of pool (AG, IG vinyl, fiberglass or concrete)
    + How many gallons are in your pool?
    + When you do expect to be able to swim? (ie, do you have 2 weeks or 6 weeks to to get it cleaned up?)
    + What was your pH?

+ Reply to Thread