+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cannot seem to raise Ph

Default Cannot seem to raise Ph

I don't have the recommended test kit yet, using strips. I wil do better on that.

But right now -- according to the strip (judging the color) my pH is below 7, maybe even a little below 6.8.

I've added Soda Ash - the amounts recommended plus a bit for my 30,000 gallons - then when I found this site, the recommended amount of Borax for 6.8 to get to 7.2 (tonight). Then I put in the 10 ppm amount of bleach through my skimmer as outlined.

Nothing. Still same orange on that strip indicating pH is low.

Total Chlorine is High --- and Free Chlorine basically never gets past Very Low.

I have green water. The strip shows I have no conditioner and I would think that is accurate.

I put in 64 oz of green algaecide a week ago, wished I had not once reading this site.

Why is it so tough for me to raise my pH to 7.2-7.8?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Cannot seem to raise Ph

If your chlorine is really high, you may be bleaching out the strip. Order the Taylor K-2006 but in the meantime, go and pick up a cheap OTO kit (the one with the red and yellow drops) someplace. Test with that and report back. Do this ASAP because if your pH is truly low, it is critical to raise it. Low pH can damage equipment and liners. Also, when you report back, tell us more specifics about type and size of pool you have.

Welcome to the Pool Forum, by the way!
    Last edited by Watermom; 03-18-2012 at 08:51 AM.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Cannot seem to raise Ph

I agree with Watermom that you probably are bleaching out the strip.. However, you might just have much lower pH than you think, or a very high TA, which would take more Borax to cause a rise in pH than if you had a lower TA.

Either way, the way to figure it out is to follow Watermom's advice and get yourself a good kit.
    Janet
    Janet

+ Reply to Thread