+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Please Help!!!! Swamp pool

Default Please Help!!!! Swamp pool

I did not cover my pool this winter. It is full of leaves which I am scooping out now. My pool water is green and brown color. I actually have frogs and salamanders living in my pool as we speak. What is the best way to open my pool to get the water clearer faster? I have an in ground pool with a vinyl liner. My pool holds 40,000 gallons of water. I use a sand filter also.Please help!!!! Thanks

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Please Help!!!! Swamp pool

Hi, Michelle, and welcome to the Pool Forum!

Scoop out as much debris (leaves, frogs, salamanders and anything else) as you can with a net. Order a good test kit now so you can get it quickly. You'll need it to help you clean this mess up! The one we recommend is the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C which is the same kit with larger quantities of reagents. You can order it through the Amazon.com link in my signature below.

In the meantime, pick up a cheap OTO kit somewhere. I don't know if stores like Walmart are stocking these yet this early in the spring. If not, you'll have to pick one up at a pool store. Actually, while you are at a pool store, it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and let them test your water but just don't let them talk you into buying anything at this point! They will try! Come back here and post your numbers and somebody here will help you go from there. (Make sure that CYA is one of the things they test for you.)

Is your equipment hooked up yet? If not, go ahead and hook it up and start running the pump and filter so the filter can help you clear it. You'll have to watch the pressure on your filter and when the filter pressure rises 8-10 psi over clean filter pressure, it is time to backwash your sand filter.

What did you use to chlorinate with in past years? Do you have any idea what your CYA (stabilizer) level was when you closed in the fall?

We'll help you get it cleared up!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

To add to what WaterMom said . . . a key ingredient to cleaning a swamp is P.O.P.: "Pool Owner Patience"!

There is no way to make cleaning a swamp quick and easy (other than hiring it done!), but lots of people make it SLOWER and HARDER and MORE EXPENSIVE by trying to purchase "Quick and Easy".

To a pool store, a pool owner who has a problem (like you) and who is in a hurry, looks like money on legs. They'll sell you stuff 'to make it easier' and then, when that doesn't make it quick and easy, they'll sell you something else, to make it quick and easy.

Get the kit; test the water; answer Watermom's questions . . . and we'll make it as quick as easy as possible.

If you can't stand to do that, get out your big wallet, and pull out $200 to $500 to hire it cleaned up professionally (prices vary by region, and by just how bad your mess is). That's easy.

Otherwise, take your time, and work methodically.

But do NOT go walking into pool store, wanting to buy "a bottle of Easy, please". They'll sell you something, but it will just end up being "Expensive", not
    "Easy".

Also . . . do you have access to Sams Club? They have some pretty good deals on chemicals that may help. You probably won't want to tote the amount of bleach it's likely to take to clean up a 40,000 gallon swamp.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 03-18-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Ok thanks. I am getting the test kit and I have to replace a part on my pump then I can cut it on. I will reply back with the test results and we can go from there. Thanks so much for your help!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

You're welcome.

By watermom told me to get water test. Results r free chlorine - 0 ppm. I knew that's was gonna be like that cause o have not ran my pool since last year. pH - 7.6. Alkalinity -100 ppm. Calcium hardness 160 ppm. Cyanuric acid- 25 ppm. The multi- value I ordered should be in this week then I can cut the pool on. Now were do I go from here? Thanks!!!

I did also go to Sam' s Club and got chlorine tablets, chlorine granules, baking soda and shock packets.
    Last edited by Watermom; 03-27-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: merge posts

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

List the chemical ingredients of the chlorine tablets, chlorine granules, baking soda and shock packets for better advice.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I can tell you what she's got -- if it's "PoolBrand". The granules are straight dichlor (50#), as are the shock packets. The tablets are 3" trichlor (40#, I think), and the baking soda . . . is baking soda

Given that she's got a swamp, it's probably not too much. She will need a K2006, to be able to gauge what's going on.

As someone who has done this several times, why not just dump and refill?
    ~18K gal IG Gunite -- 1-HP Pentair Whisper Flo with new 2-speed motor. Intermatic T1000 Dual Speed Timer -- Tagelus 60D sand filter
    Hayward SWCG (up to 40K gal.) -- Polaris 280 and booster pump -- Rainbow (now Pentair) in-line chlorine Feeder.

+ Reply to Thread