+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Particles coming out of the return valve

Default Particles coming out of the return valve

Howdy. I've had this problem since I started using the pump this season. Whenever I would let the pump run on it's own or use the vacuum, whatever I sucked up would get spit back out of the return jets. This happened even when I manually washed off the filter grids and put in new DE. To help combat this, I got ingenious and folded up paper towels, put them in the outside filter (a filter for the filter), and brushed the crap from the bottom towards it. My pool is pretty clear now, but I still need to figure out what the problem is.

I read the post by Waste about how to clean the filter grids (and mine are definitely grids), and I know mine hold water in the bottom. Is that the most likely reason for my problem? Is it easy to take apart/put back together? I have a Hayward filter, and the grids kind of overlap, like a swirl. I don't want to take it apart and not be able to put it back together. And I'd rather not have to spend ~$200 on new grids unless I absolutely have to.

And for the detergent, does it have to be any specific kind? And does it have to be a powder or liquid? And is the muriatic acid something I can get from Leslie's? Thanks in advance for the help.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Particles coming out of the return valve

Dirt on your filter does NOT cause vacuumed dirt to return to the pool via the pool returns.

There is ONLY one reason for this to happen: dirty water is bypassing the filter. There ARE several ways that can happen:
    1. There are holes in your DE membranes (but then, DE will ALSO shoot into the pool after backwashing), OR
    2. Something internal to your filter system OR your filter valve is allowing dirty water to bypass the filter, OR
    3. You've got piping or a valve that allows dirty water to bypass the filter.

Cleaning your filter won't fix any of those -- though it's possible that if you disassemble the filter, clean it, and then re-assemble it, you may inadvertently correct the problem.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

It's a sand filter thing. A excessive pump blows dirt THROUGH a sand filter, but blows OUT cartridges and DE membranes. In either case, not only vacuum debris would come through, DE would come through as well.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Welcome to the Forum!

I fear you'll have to take the unit apart and find out why debris is bypassing.

I'm a little pressed for time tonight but will be back tomorrow to further explain.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Hey Waste, any ideas yet?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Sorry for the delay! (thanks for the 'bump')

Your first move is to open up the filter and see what's going on in there. Can you give me the age and model # of the filter? Sounds like you've got a 'micro-clear' or 'pro-grid' - what do you have for a multiport (how many positions does it have?)

You apparently know how to take out the grid assembly (nest) and get it back in. Please check the o-ring that seals the nest to the 'stand pipe' - it's one place that vacuumed debris can bypass the filter. Another can be the gasket in the multiport. Of course the other 'usual suspect' is the grids and/ or manifold on the nest. Have no fear, we can talk you through any of these problems
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Thanks for the update. I'll get you super-specifics in the next couple of days, but here's what I know about the filter off the top of my head......

It's a Hayward. As for age, no idea. We bought the house in Feb. '06 and haven't changed anything out. The people who had the house before us had the pool built in the early 70's, but I know the filter isn't that old.

For the multi-port, it has 6 positions.... filter, backwash, rinse, closed, and 2 others. Not sure of the brand.

I probably won't be able to check the inside until the weekend.

Thanks for responding in a more timely manner than I did!

I'm looking forward to helping you figure out what's going on and helping you fix it!!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

The model # of the filter is DE-LE-42054.

The multiport is also a Hayward (I believe a "Vari-flow"). It's definitely a 6-positioner.

+ Reply to Thread