+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New pool owner wanting to convert to salt chlorination system

Default New pool owner wanting to convert to salt chlorination system

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are in the process of buying our first home (we close March 30th!) and the pool (and related equipment) are as old as the house (1983.) The pump is a 1 hp which I understand is illegal to install in new pools now. (?) So, I would like a new pump to save on electricity costs. Also we have been researching salt chlorination systems. Oh, and the pool has manual solar panels for heating.

We have never owned a pool before and really don't know where to start. Can anyone give any advice based on the info I just provided? Should we get a new pump and salt chlorination system at the sometime? Is there something else I'm overlooking....like also getting all new pipes or something? The pool is quite large..I'm not sure how many gallons though (maybe 20k?)

Thanks for any help you can provide. :-)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New pool owner wanting to convert to salt chlorination system

1. Get it running -- hire a pool company if necessary.
    2. Get an OTO/phenol red kit at Walmart or wherever, and use bleach and borax to maintain pH between 7 and 8 and chlorine above 2 ppm.
    3. Order a K2006 FAS-DPD test kit (Amazon links below), which you'll need to learn to use.
    4. Take pictures of the pool and all the equipment, and email them to poolforum AT gmail DOT com. I'll size and post them, so we can take a look.
    5. Do not replace any non-broken equipment yet. (If someone told you you had to have a LARGER than 1 HP pump, they are idiots.)

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by dayna78 View Post
    Hi everyone,

My husband and I are in the process of buying our first home (we close March 30th!) and the pool (and related equipment) are as old as the house (1983.) The pump is a 1 hp which I understand is illegal to install in new pools now. (?)
    I believe you mean a 1 speed pump, not a 1 HP pump. It could be any HP rating which is different from the motor speed. New installations in many localities now requre by code either a 2 speed or multi speed pump since they are more energy efficient (and also provide better filtration) by running them for a longer time on low speed. High speed is still needed for for cleeaners, water features, vacuuming, solar, etc.
    So, I would like a new pump to save on electricity costs.
    IF the 'wet end' of the pump is in good condition you can often just replace the motor with a two speed motor for a lot less than a new pump.

Also we have been researching salt chlorination systems.
    If it is an older pool make sure that the equiipment (ladders, light niches, plumbing, etc) are compatible with salt systems. Some older equipment is not going to be and could corrode or be otherwise damaged.
    Oh, and the pool has manual solar panels for heating.
    Nothing wrong with solar heat! However, if you do upgrade to a 2 speed or multispeed pump you might look into a solar controller that would automatically switch you into high speed when the solar kicks in since many solar installations will not operate properly on low speed.
    We have never owned a pool before and really don't know where to start. Can anyone give any advice based on the info I just provided? Should we get a new pump and salt chlorination system at the sometime? Is there something else I'm overlooking....like also getting all new pipes or something? The pool is quite large..I'm not sure how many gallons though (maybe 20k?)
    Hope this helps but, as PoolDoc said, do not replace any equipement just yet. First post the pics and follow the 5 steps he outlined!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 03-01-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: separate quotes
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Thanks, Evan.

I wondered if some areas had begun requiring multi-speed pumps, and that maybe that was the source of what the OP was told.

Thanks everyone. Since we don't close on the house until the end of the month I don't think I can get a water sample yet. The house is still occupied and the pool is running and looks great. I'll purchase those kits in anticipation for when we move and I'll post the results then. :-) in the meantime I'll try to find a pic of the pool.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Hi Dayna and welcome to the Pool Forum! In this month while you are waiting to close, you have the perfect opportunity to do your homework and read, read, read and learn as much as you can before you take over ownership. That way, you'll have a much better idea of what all you need to do to operate a pool from the get go. In addition to reading a lot of posts on the forum, also read at our sister website poolsolutions.com. Lots of good information there as well! Also, go ahead and order the Taylor K-2006 kit so you'll have it ready to use when you move in.

You're gonna love having a pool!

+ Reply to Thread