+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No pool cover!

Default No pool cover!

I purchased a house with a large 52,000 gallon pool a few years ago and have done most maintainance for it except for blowing out th lines getting ready for our NJ winter.

Last year, my solid cover died and I looked into getting a mesh or solid cover and the prices were way out of my range, so I made the decision not to put a cover on it. Leaves are really not an issue for me.

What are the downsides if I do not replace the cover?

Thanks!

GR

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: No pool cover!

I never cover my pool--but then I don't have to close it for the winter, either.

The biggest downside to not having a cover that I can see, other than leaves, limbs, etc that might blow in during stormy weather, is the risk of animals/children falling into the cold water and drowning. If that's not an issue for you, then I don't see any harm in not covering it.

When the water starts to warm up, not having the pool covered will allow light in and might contribute to earlier algae growth, but a good shocking after you open the pool will take care of that.
    Janet

Thanks for the reply. That saves me thousands of dollars.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I do close my pool for the winter, but do not cover my pool either. The water stays clear all winter long. I do have a little dust on the bottom when we are ready to open it up, but that is easily vacuumed up. Pool covers are a big hassle!

Our fellow moderator, Al, aka Poconos, lives in northeast PA where it gets really cold and snowy and he also doesn't cover his pool in the winter.

I live next door to you in the Lehigh Valley and we don't cover our pool. Before it freezes over I scoop out what leaves have dropped in and I do that again once all the ice has thawed. By the time we get pine pollen it's warm enough to connect the plumbing again.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Since my water is exposed to the sun without the cover, should I open the pool earlier?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Yes, you'll most likely need to open it up a little earlier than a pool that has a solid cover. Keep an eye on the water and feel the sides of the walls. If you feel any signs of slipperiness, that is a sign that algae is starting. Even if you do get a little algae, that can easily be cleaned up.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I guess I'm the odd-ball. I have a safety mesh I cover it with, and, if I open it early enough, the pool is pretty clean.
    Carl

I don't open any earlier in the sense of connecting pump, filter, and plumbing. I do keep an eye on the water once all the ice has thawed. I may pour in a bottle of bleach and stir it up using the pole brush just to remind the algae that this is not their home.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

+ Reply to Thread