+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adding salt for the season

jilted is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst jilted 0

Question Adding salt for the season

To get back to the SWCG's recommended level.

This year I bought 10 bags from Lowes. Diamond Crystal brand premium pool salt.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_241333-113-8...d=10151&rpp=24
    It's bigger crystal type salt versus the previous salt I bought that was very fine. Is this good/bad/indifferent? I usually put in 1 bag at a time and use the brush to move it around until it dissolves. It takes much longer to dissolve with this brand. Is it mandatory to get it all dissolved?

Thanks,
    -stephen
    26,500g inground vinyl liner (new liner installed June 2013)
    Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump - Hayward sand filter (sand changed in spring 2009)
    Compu Pool CPSC36 SWCG - Polaris 380 cleaner

Default Re: Adding salt for the season

That is actually what I use in my SWG. However I brush and brush some more till it is all dissolved because the ppm will increase until all of it is dissolved. I also do not like any chemicals sitting on the floor of my liner, high concentrations of anything is not good. Sometimes I'll throw some salt in a sock or if I'm feeling frisky I'll add the salt to my Polaris debris collector bag and get it spread it that way just don't over load it to much.
    8500Gal SWG (T-15), outdoor IGP, Vinyl, Pentair 3/4HP 85GPM, cartridge filter, BBTCell
    US Navy 2005-Present USS John F. Kennedy, USS Carl Vinson, currently on Shore Duty Norfolk, VA

jilted is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst jilted 0

Thanks. That's what I was thinking also that it might not be good to have a pile of it just sitting on the bottom.
    26,500g inground vinyl liner (new liner installed June 2013)
    Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump - Hayward sand filter (sand changed in spring 2009)
    Compu Pool CPSC36 SWCG - Polaris 380 cleaner

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Even the bigger crystals will dissolve fast. I use water softener solar salt which is a very large crystal and it dissolves almost as fast as fine grained pool salt, is often purer than some of the 'pool salt' I have seen, and costs less. If you spread it out instead of having it all in one place it will dissolve faster and keeping the pump running 24/7 until is it dissolved helps also. Salt sitting on the liner should not have any ill effects. In fact, I just get n the pool and push the stuff around with my feet when I add salt. Brushing is fine but not really necessary. POP (Pool owner patience) is more important!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    Even the bigger crystals will dissolve fast. I use water softener solar salt which is a very large crystal and it dissolves almost as fast as fine grained pool salt, is often purer than some of the 'pool salt' I have seen, and costs less. If you spread it out instead of having it all in one place it will dissolve faster and keeping the pump running 24/7 until is it dissolved helps also. Salt sitting on the liner should not have any ill effects. In fact, I just get n the pool and push the stuff around with my feet when I add salt. Brushing is fine but not really necessary. POP (Pool owner patience) is more important!
    If the salt has the same effects as my wifes salt foot/body rub, then I don't wanna kick it around might clog up a skimmer
    8500Gal SWG (T-15), outdoor IGP, Vinyl, Pentair 3/4HP 85GPM, cartridge filter, BBTCell
    US Navy 2005-Present USS John F. Kennedy, USS Carl Vinson, currently on Shore Duty Norfolk, VA

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Goolsbymd View Post
    If the salt has the same effects as my wifes salt foot/body rub, then I don't wanna kick it around might clog up a skimmer
    It won't, trust me! Your wife's salt body rub is probably rock salt, a less pure product, and probably also contains ingredients besides salt. I know of at least one SWCG manufacturer that recommends brushing salt to the man drain when adding it.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread