+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Natural Swimming Pool Photo Gallery

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Natural Swimming Pool Photo Gallery

I did. Smoke on the Water was stuck in my head until I changed to CCR - lasted the rest of the day.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

A while back I started a thread Natural Swimming Pools (NSPs) where I analyzed the theoretical risk using the standards for such pools compared to EPA and DIN 19643 standards. The basic tradeoff for such pools is increasing the risk of ill swimmers from virtually nil to 7-10 per 1000 per season. However, as the links in Ben's earlier post in this thread show, even these looser biological standards aren't being consistently met, especially for Pseudomonas aeruginosa found in 27-28% of measured samples in 43% of pools and even with Legionella found in 3 out of 4 samples in an indoor pool. The mere presence of bacteria exceeding limits does not mean there will be associated disease, but the risk becomes higher.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

One of the questions I've had about these pools was whether they'd actually be used, after being built. I've seen an awful lot of pool equipment turned off or abandoned after owners or users found it too expensive, too complicated or too unreliable to use. Those experiences have made me wonder about these pools. I can find accounts of people BUILDING these pools, but no accounts or photos of people USING them after they were built.

Most of the natural pool + people photos seem to be pro-shots, posted with models, like these:

I could accept that both shots above reflect actual use. But not so much with this next one, which I find funny, though I doubt the photographer intended that effect:

Every time I look that that photo, in my mind I hear the model asking, "Can I get out of here, now? Please!". I also know what happens to white or light swimsuits when they brush up against algae covered surfaces. You can be sure that a wardrobe change was needed before additional shots were taken!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

These photos, even though they were posed, seem more realistic. The next one was a posed shot of the owners of a "Bio-Top" pool:

I'm not sure of the status of these photos, but unless the water was too cold, they seem realistic enough to me. I've seen my own children, and nieces and nephews acting just like this:

I'm pretty sure this one's realistic too . . . but I doubt its the image the natural pool companies want to portray:

+ Reply to Thread