+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Natural Swimming Pool Photo Gallery

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Natural Pools Gallery

Maybe, we need to collect and send you some Phidippus audax jumping spiders, so you can do aversion therapy with them. We think they're kinda cute, and their behaviour and intelligence is amazing. We've been handling them for years, and have never been bitten, even though they reportedly have a pretty hefty bite, and definitely have some impressive fangs. This is a good video (DON'T LOOK, WaterMom!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1560DOYU_AY

We had a much larger one on the kitchen table 2 weeks ago -- it was fun to give it a fly, watch it pounce, and then carry the fly around like a cat with a mouse. (Of course, cats don't leave mice completely desiccated when they're done with the mice -- wish they did!). But we let it go, so I can't include a picture.

Sean OBrien is offline ** No working email address ** Sean OBrien 0

Growing up - that was pretty much all we had access to. In ground or above ground pools were almost unheard of in the area (unless you went to one of the big athletic centers). Lakes and private swimming holes were the place to be. While you definately have a set of concerns to deal with that are different than those in a chemically controlled pool, I wouldn't be very worried, as long as the water was clear enough to see the bottom (to avoid unwelcome guests like snapping turtles or gators on the southern side of things.

A few years back, my wife brought home a magazine that had an article on the subject (think she bought it for a recipe or something along those lines):

http://www.grit.com/Tools/Build-Your...ming-Hole.aspx

The end of the article there is a link to a British company who deals with natural swimming pools. They might have additional data regarding the safety concerns. Either way, they have a lot of pictures.

Was an interesting read and we ended up turning a segment of our pond into a dedicated swimming area. The pond itself was part of a garden with koi in the wild part and a filtration system to match their needs. We had the water tested with the SD Ag Extension office and it came back clean for the usual suspects. In most actual controlled environments the amoebas are almost unheard of (they don't swim well - so they like really stagnant and dark waters). Other bacteria are apparently also dealt with by exposure to sun and aeration (so you are better off shallow than deep).

Anywho, wasn't what I cam here for - but when I was looking for different ideas on dressing up the concrete and vinyl swimming pool, I stumbled on this thread.

Yowza. Those pools are lovely to look at, but I wouldn't let my family swim in them.

We prefer our water 100% free of life forms that are not us.

Hi all, We are getting closer to starting our swim pond/aquaculture project. We hope to plant some nice edibles amongst the water lilies and plan on putting in taro, and rice along with other usual water filtering reeds and such. I really like the above link to grit build your own. One thing we will do differently is instead of soil as a substrate for the plants: we are going to use washed gravel. (Not sure yet just how I'm gonna wash all that gravel...) The idea is to get the plants to keep the water pretty nutrient free to prevent algae.

I also agree with people about the concerns over catching things from fellow swimmers... but it's at our house. AND I was So bummed out the other day, I took my 2 toddlers to the beach, and the sewer afew miles away must've had a spill... anyway there were hundreds of thousands of human excrements all over the beach and floating in the seaweed. It took us a minute to really register what it was. Then we got outa there. It has really spurred me on to get our home entertainment sorted out. Talk about pathogens, it was like swimming in a public porta potty.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

A couple more:

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Somehow, my idea of a natural pool involves saltwater, waves, tides and sand, of the beach, rather than filter variety!
    Carl

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

Default Re: Natural Swimming Pool Photo Gallery

Excellent photos but not everyone in the UK & Europe embraces the pond idea, just like most of you there are concerns, I certainly have some.

The filtration uses several different parts where nutrients are removed from the water, either phosphates or nitrates and then planting of types that tolerate the water with which option has been chosen. Biological filters are used and just like a reed toilet system by example the bacteria are broken down, they work so ponds can work, do they work quickly enough for a public pool not sure. I know there is a new filter in development for one of the companies (Clear water revival) which they think they will have all the answers.

I really wonder if it's the natural settings that people really like rather than the formal pools. From the photos they seem to loose something when they are formal swimming pools albeit great designs. Is it really the lack of chlorine people want? or just a more natural setting?

You probably realize that 'environmentalism' is essentially a substitute-religion for a lot of people today, and being 'natural' is a form of religious expression for them. Careful analysis of the facts tends not to be an important part of how many people approach their religion.

What evidence I've been able to find suggest that these natural pools are not nearly as safe as chlorine pools, especially as the bather load increases. But "more risk" does NOT equal "much risk" -- a distinction that eludes even many educated people.

But my guess is the risk is still pretty low for these pools, if they aren't used commercially. After all, my family's (and my own) PERSONAL preference is swimming in the ocean, which is more risky than either these natural pools or chlorinated pools, not just from infection, but from the OTHER wildlife or from physical hazards.

Many discussions of health risk today ignore that the MAJOR avoidable risks for most people are things like over-eating, not enough exercise, cigarettes, and poor medical treatment, including nosocomial infections. Infections transmitted in pools, or chemical risks from pool treatment are MINOR risks by comparison.

The higher risk SERIOUS events around pools, including drownings, slips & falls, electrocution, diving injuries, etc. rather than chemical or infection events.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot View Post
    ...(Clear water revival)...
    Creedence, I love Creedence. There's plenty of natural swimming Down on the Bayou.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Creedence, I love Creedence. There's plenty of natural swimming Down on the Bayou.
    Nice, BigDave. did you catch my comment here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...221#post116221

+ Reply to Thread