+ Reply to Thread

Thread: calcium waterline removal

Default calcium waterline removal

looking for input for the best material to remove calcium from the water line tile I have the tools to do the job just confused on the media to us, Soda? Crushed glass? or any other ideas also the the best grit ...Thanks

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: calcium waterline removal

pumice stone works well for small areas. A 4 to 1 mix of water and muriatic acid will dissolve the scale also, as will an acidic tile cleaner from the pool store (and most of them are thick so they will stay in place. Drop the water level to expose all the scale. I used ot use a mix of tile soap and muriatic acid but tile soap has become just about impossible to find these days.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

thanks, I have tried acid 50/50 and even straight wont touch it, it is all around the perimeter of the pool, had it glass beaded last year by a co. but kind find the product he used so looking for an alternate material, i have found some but the price is way out there, harbor freight does sell soda ,graingers has the glass beads but way to much money thanks again for the reply

I don't have it on my tile but what have used it on my flagstone is that blue sand paper the grit is real low, have you tried maybe wet sanding it.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

If 50/50 acid didn't touch it, it's probably not calcium. Do three things:

1. Scrape off some scale, put in an a glass glass, and add a bit of acid. If it doesn't dissolve . . . it's not calcium carbonate (lime) and probably not calcium anything. If it's NOT calcium carbonate, we need to figure out what it is, and how it's getting into your pool.

2. Assuming that it's not calcium carbonate, go to your water company's website, and get their latest analysis -- post the link here.

3. Take some pictures, and sent them to poolforum AT gmail DOT com, and I'll post them.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

If it's not calcium it is likely silca (silicate). Calcium scale dissolves readily in acid. Silica does not. Silica can only be removed by hydrofluoric acid (very dangerous) or sandblasting and other mechanical methods and is best left to a pro!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread