+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adjusting pH in the winter

Default Adjusting pH in the winter

I live in south Georgia. My 25000 gallon outdoor liner pool water is presently at 58F degrees. My water comes from a well. My pH at present is 8.0 and my total alkalinity is 125 .... these were obtained using a Taylor test kit.

Based on acid demand (2 drops) and table E, it says I need to add 46 fl. oz of Muriatic acid (31.45% HCI).

Do you all agree with this?

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Adjusting pH in the winter

I presume you're not swimming.
    Is your circulation system connected and operating? It might be a bad idea to put acid into water that's not mixing well.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Yes, the circulation system is working fine. I run it about 8 hours per day. Also, for what it is worth, I have recently noticed some algae growth for which I added an algaecide as well as bringing my chlorine levels back up.

Jim K.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

OK, as stated previously, I live in south Georgia. I have a 25000 gallon outdoor liner pool. I use well water. The water sample indicates the following: FC 0.2, CC 1.0, pH 7.9, ALK 125, CYA 65 and water temp 57 degrees F. Based on acid demand (2 drops) and table E from the Taylor test kit, it says I need to add 46 fl. oz of Muriatic acid (31.45% HCI).

Do you all agree with this?

My circulation system is working fine and I run it about 8 hours per day. I will be adding bleach to get me chlorine levels back up. I am starting to get some algae growth. We are not swimming yet.

Thanks for any help.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If it were my pool, I wouldn't worry about pH of 7.9 until I was ready to open the pool but if you decide to go ahead and lower it some, I'd start with a smaller dose. Maybe about 20 oz. But, don't worry about measuring it exactly.

Please read about using muriatic acid safely in the following link.
    Using Muriatic Acid Safely
    Last edited by Watermom; 02-16-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: add link

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

You'll probably need more FC to keep the algae down.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

He'll definitely need more FC. Check the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature below (which isn't really a guess!) for the connection between chlorine and CYA levels.

+ Reply to Thread