+ Reply to Thread

Thread: removed cover

Default removed cover

hello very new here,

just bought an abandoned house and it has a pool last lived in in 2009, I cleaned the cover off really well and decided to remove it. My question is whether or not it was wise to do so. Should I put it back on since its still winter? thanks for any input

Rob

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: removed cover

If the water is still clear-ish, purchase 2 gallons of 6% househould bleach per 10,000 gallons of pool water, and pour it in THIS evening. Otherwise, it will turn green faster than you'd believe, even with cold-ish water. (I'm assuming it's NOT frozen.) After adding the bleach, give it a day or two, and then recover, unless (see below) .

Otherwise, if it's already slimed and sludgey, it doesn't matter so much. But, you really can't start cleaning up, until you are ready to bring the pumps online. If there are leaves and branches in the pool, you can start removing them.

HOWEVER, if you are on the coast and are pretty sure you are now into frost free weather, you can go ahead and start work on the cleanup. It's sure to be fairly lengthy, if the pool hasn't been opened in several years.

One warning: DO NOT DRAIN THE POOL!

You will destroy the liner, if you do. And, if it's a concrete or fiberglass pool, it can literally float out of the ground, if you drain it, and the ground is at all wet.

Default Re: removed cover

Thanks for the info, the pool is extremely black and as you said I dont want to turn on the pumps until after possible freezing weather so I will just wait until warmer weather.

+ Reply to Thread