+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Worms in pool

Default Worms in pool

Everytime it rains, my inground pool gets loaded with worms. Hundreds of them. It's happenning consistently this year, but hasn't happened to this degree in the past.

Anything I can do about it? It's a big mess to vacuum up.

Default Re: Worms in pool

That's a terrible problem to have. How big are they?

I had a pool full of mosquito larvae and I just ran the filter until they went away. It took a couple of days.

(It was icky cleaning out the cartridges, that's for sure)

Not sure if this helps, but you do have my sympathy.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

When it rains a lot worms start to drown and move. They aren't the smartest things on the planet. Right into a pool. Just vacuum them up. If anyone has any ideas I'm open to suggestions too. They don't hurt anything and are just yucky. I deal with it.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Sigrid
    That's a terrible problem to have. How big are they?

I had a pool full of mosquito larvae and I just ran the filter until they went away. It took a couple of days.

(It was icky cleaning out the cartridges, that's for sure)

Not sure if this helps, but you do have my sympathy.

All size worms. Little ones up to giant mini-snake sized ones.

It has been raining a lot here, so maybe that's it. Cleaning out the pump basket after vacuuming in a real treat. If I was a bird, that is....

tonyl is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst tonyl 0

I have the same problem. I use my net on the bottom to scoop them up...carefully not to scrape the vinyl too hard. You can nudge them a bit to get them off the bottom, then go a little faster to scoop. You can get most of them up that way.

It beats the heck out of cleaning ALL of them out of the basket when you're done.

Hope this helps, Tony

duraleigh Guest

I have the same issue with a type of centipede...thousands of them.

I have considered buying a cheap 3/8" rope and keeping it in a bucket filled with something quite objectionable like insecticide, oil, etc.

Then if you expect an "attack", lay the rope around the perimeter of the pool about 4-6" from the water.

I can't complete the task, however, because I can't come up with a fluid that doesn't have side effects (staining, cost, safety, etc)

The method that tonyl describes works very well. Just make sure that your net doesn't have any sharp or jagged edges if you have a vinyl liner.
    Sal

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

You can protect plants from slugs with a diatomaceous earth (DE) barrier; it irritates their soft underbellies, so they won't cross it. The same thing might work with worms.

There are, however, some potential serious health risks with breathing in DE powder. Pets are especially susceptible to it when it's spread on the ground dry.

I wonder if just the rope alone might be enough to stop them, without soaking it in anything....

+ Reply to Thread