+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to pools

Default Newbie to pools

Hi,

My name's Matt and I just took over responsibility of my Gf's parents' pool. Just been doing some maintenence and basic care, trying to get the hang of things. So far I've replaced the DE filter cartridges and replaced a few other seals and o-rings. Just took apart the 6-way module for the Paramount in ground cleaning system and found that all of the internal seals on the pistons were bad and wouldn't you know it they don't seem to sell just the seals so you have to buy a whole new module. How conveniant for them. Ended up ordering a new unit but just wanted to get some insight from you guys/girls on the issue.

Also was just posting a new thread in hopes of getting full privelages to search the forums and read the threads so I can begin learining all I need to take care of their pool. Kinda still learning about the pool chemicals thing. Been testing everything using kind of an older test kit and not to sure of the results. But the biggest one I am worried about is the CYA is testing around 80-90 ppm using a taylor test kit. And I know that's kinda high and the pool guy only used chlorine pucks but don't really know what to do. Think I'm gonna bring some water to pinch-a-penny tomorrow and see what they say. Already brought some water there and they said everything checked out but I never got any numbers from them.

Thanks,

Matt

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Newbie to pools

Hi Matt, and welcome to the forum!

Until Ben upgrades your status, you can always search the forum using the Google search link in my sig, which is actually better than the vbulletin search feature. Take some time and read as much as you can here and at our sister site, Poolsolutions.com. There's a TON of info here, and it can be overwhelming at first, but eventually it will begin to make sense and you'll realize that pool care really isn't hard, and doesn't have to be expensive or time-consuming.

What type of test kit are you using? I'll tell you up front that we don't put any confidence in strip testing...we highly recommend a drop-based test kit. The best one around for the money is the Taylor K-2006 (NOT the 2005) . It can be ordered from the Amazon link in my sig, and the forum actually gets a donation from the order.

If the pool guy used pucks, it is very common for your CYA to be very high. In that case, you have two options--either drain/refill some of the water to lower it, or just raise the chlorine levels to compensate. (See the "best guess" chart linked in my sig for that).

Anyway, welcome to the group--read around the site, and feel free to post whatever questions you may have!
    Janet

Thank you Janet! I have been reading tons of stuff and I think I've got the idea. Just realy have no faith in the kits that I am using because I'm not really sure how old they are. I have been using a Taylor K-2006 and a K-2005 but some of the tests just don't seem to work right. Do you know which of the reagents would lose there punch after sitting around for awhile? They were stored in a garage here in Florida for idk how long. Think for now I am just gonna go to the store tomorrow and have them test some water and give me the numbers. I might try to drain the pool and refill a little bit at a time to lower the CYA levels. I realize this won't be as effective as one quick half a drain but I don't wan the Gf's parents to think I'm crazy for draining the pool the first week on the job, haha! All they know is the pool looks clean now so why would I be draining it.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Echoing what Janet said, I'd encourage you to look at the Best Guess chart and page, at least for now. You can always drain later. But change as little as you have to, while you're learning to operate the pool

Good luck!

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

What Ben said!!

I personally run a high CYA pool intentionally because in our climate (Louisiana) I use less chlorine and it's much easier to keep my levels stable. I would imagine in Florida your climate is very similar, so lowering your CYA may not be the best thing to do, especially if your water is in good sbape now.

I would replace any reagents that were in a garage longer than one year. They can last a lot longer than that when stored in a cool dry place, but heat can make them degrade. You can order them from several places online, but I usually get mine from sps-poolspas.com. Their prices are among the lowest and their service is fast.

Janet

Thanks again! The CYA part of the test kit seems to be working at least because the store tested the same. Good to know that that CYA level isn't that excessive for down south here then. It seems like right now the pool is using virtually no chlorine because the CYA is high, it's been cool out and the pool is partially shaded. It's only at about 5 ppm though and according to the best guess chart I guess that's a little low. Trying to decide if I should bump it up a couple ppm and just keep it there. The pool seems to be doing well right now but I figure a little more can't hurt.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

The pool is using little chlorine because the water is cold, but when the weather starts to warm up, if you don't run higher cl levels you'll have a green pool! We see it all the time. Since your CYA is 80-90, then you don't want to use any stabilized forms of chlorine. So stay away from trichlor pucks and dichlor powder. What kind of pool is this -- gunnite, vinyl, fiberglass? Also, go ahead and post a full set of current water testing results.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    The pool is using little chlorine because the water is cold, but when the weather starts to warm up, if you don't run higher cl levels you'll have a green pool! We see it all the time. Since your CYA is 80-90, then you don't want to use any stabilized forms of chlorine. So stay away from trichlor pucks and dichlor powder. What kind of pool is this -- gunnite, vinyl, fiberglass? Also, go ahead and post a full set of current water testing results.
    Yeah, the CYA level is my biggest fear with the trichlor pucks which is what I would most likely be using. I would like to do the BBB method but again I think my girlfriends parents would think I am crazy if I was out there pouring a gallon of chlorine in the pool everyday. I think they would feel better with me just using the pucks. Next time they leave town I'll just drain half the pool, haha. I think for now I'm just gonna continue using the pucks and monitor the CYA levels and if it starts to get too high and the chlorine demand becomes to great I'll consider swapping out some of the water or switching to liquid chlorine.

Here are the results from the store test:

TC: 5 ppm
    FC: 5 ppm
    CC: 0 ppm
    pH: 7.6
    TA: 100 ppm
    Calcium: 250 ppm
    CYA: 80 ppm

Oh, and it's a screened in gunite pool.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Your numbers all look ok except that your chlorine is bit low for your CYA level.

Regarding continuing to use the pucks ---- it is your call. If it were my pool with a CYA of 80-90, I would not use them. It is easy to get into trouble when your CYA level gets too high. Just my opinion.

Glad to have you on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Your numbers all look ok except that your chlorine is bit low for your CYA level.

Regarding continuing to use the pucks ---- it is your call. If it were my pool with a CYA of 80-90, I would not use them. It is easy to get into trouble when your CYA level gets too high. Just my opinion.

Glad to have you on the forum!
    Yeah, I realize the chlorine is on the low side for the CYA levels but I think I'm losing virtuslly no chlorine at the moment, definitely will have to do something soon. Haven't put any chlorine in it for a week and it's holding at those levels probably due to a combination of the low CYA levels, the cool partially shaded water and no one is swimming in it. I would like to switch to liquid chlorine as I can get 6% clorox bleach from Sams for $2 a gallon before tax but don't really know how much I will have to stay on top of it with liquid chlorine. Maybe I'll start trying it next week and just see what happens. I have to get more reagent for the chlorine test on Tuesday so I can start testing it myself.

+ Reply to Thread