+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 questions from a newby

Default 2 questions from a newby

1. Is the Jandy variable 2hp pump reliable and worth the extra money?
    2. How does the forum feel about the Vanquish cleaning system?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: 2 questions from a newby

I'll move this out, and let others reply.

My personal experience with Jandy products is limited, and I have no direct experience with in-floor cleaning systems. But, for what it's worth, I have a very low opinion of Zodiac's corporate integrity . . . and they own Jandy. For that reason, and others, Jandy would be at the bottom of my list of pool equipment manufacturers.

More generally, a 2HP variable speed pump is NOT an efficient choice, unless you NEED a 2 HP pump. Variable speed pumps can be turned down to act like a 3/4 HP pump . . . but they'll rarely, if ever, be as efficient a 3/4 HP pump as one that's designed to be that. So, the answer to the other part of that question, about variable speed pumps being worth the month, the correct answer is a firm and definite, "it depends on your pool's design, volume, use, and piping".

Regarding in-floor systems, including Paramount's, I've repeatedly heard other guys talking about them. My very strong impression is that (1) if they are badly installed, they NEVER work well, but (2) that if they are well installed, they'll work for 5 years or so, and then become unrepairable. So, if you plan to live at this house for more than 5 years, I'd find someone who has a system they still like after 10 years!.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: 2 questions from a newby

I checked the Paramount / Vanquish site, and it did nothing to improve my impression of the product. Here are two quotes from that page, and both are almost certainly false:

For pools with conventional heaters, Vanquish can save as much as 50% in heating costs!
    and
    By returning heat and chemicals near the surface, the wind and sun can quickly steel them from the water. Conventional pools consume up to 50% more chemicals and 30% more heat than pools with In-Floor systems.
    (Source page at http://www.paramountpoolproducts.com/products/vanquish/ archived at SPR under thread #14365)

"We'll save you money, by selling you something expensive" is the claim made by almost every gadget and gizmo and goop maker in the pool business, and it's virtually always a bogus claim! In this case, it's bogus because using their system forces you to oversize your pump to deliver 20 psi (50' of head) AT the cleaning heads. That, in turn, requires a bigger pump, more KWH's and thus, more $$'s. Using an over-sized variable speed pump could reduce the extra cost, but you still wouldn't be able to operate the pool as cheaply as you would with a properly sized, efficient 2 speed pump.

I did look at their product manual. Essentially their system consists of a mechanized monster multiport valve, plus extra piping, plus the pop-up head. I was amazed to see that they were selling this system for use in liner pools -- I would STRONGLY recommend NOT installing one of these systems in liner pool.

The weak points in the system are the valve, and the pop-up sockets. The multiport structure is unlikely to remain reliable after 5 years, but you could install it so that it would be practical to replace it. The sockets are another deal. Once they become abraded (because they are depressed, they tend to collect sand and grit), your system fails, and there's no fix that doesn't require a jackhammer.

So, if you want the systems, do this:
    1. Install the multiport with union connections, in an accessible location.
    2. Run bypasses off the lines to the floor inlets, and install low sidewall inlets. Plug these, and then plan to open and use them, when you have plug the pop-up sockets. That way, you won't have to leave an array of holes in your pool bottom with the pop-ups fail.

Meanwhile, consider this 'sales pitch': "The PoolForum will save you 1,000's of dollars and 100's of hours on pool care, and it won't cost you anything!".

Of course, that one's only true if
    1. You take our advice and adopt some form of the BBB method;
    2. You are fairly consistent in your application of it;
    3. You buy and use a good test kit -- you don't have to get it from us!;
    4. You stay away from pool stores, unless you need parts!

Good luck

+ Reply to Thread