+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward Super pump leak

Default Hayward Super pump leak

I recently bought a foreclosed house in Fla. that I plan to live in once my Pa house is sold. I have a few pool issues to deal with but I thought I'd start with the obvious leak in the top of the pump between the seal plate and the main pump housing. I downloaded the manual and see there's a gasket that must be leaking. Should I replace anything else while I have it apart or leave everything else alone? I assume the pump is 10yrs old.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Hayward Super pump leak

(Pictures and manuals, below, grabbed from the Hayward pump page, here. )

There are TWO Hayward Super pumps, the "Super Pump":

and the "Super II Pump":

Here's the breakdown diagram for the Super II:

If you mean, by "seal plate", what's shown as a seal plate on this diagram, then yes, replace all the rubber. But, ALSO, you need to replace the pump seal. Make sure you see how it comes off, before you try to replace it. And, if you've never done a seal before, I'd get TWO seals, unless your local pool store is nearby AND keeps them in stock.

Another point: I've had no end of trouble, over the years, whenever I've purchased non-OEM rubber parts. I'm sure some after market maker does make quality gaskets and such, but I haven't been fortunate enough to encounter them. Personally, I now NEVER purchase non-OEM rubber parts. In your case, I'd recommend Hayward brand gaskets and such. (But, I've never had a problem with non-OEM seals.)

Good luck

Thanks for the quick reply!
    I have the Super II pump. Is there a single kit that has the parts I should replace? If not, what should I replace besides "seal assy" and "housing gasket"?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I can't help you directly. If I were in your situation, I'd just go to my local SCP (wholesaler) and say, I need "this & this and this", and they'd go get it. But you can't do this.

You might look at this,

from this site:
    http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-87...ump/Detail.bok

I've ordered from them myself, and they've done OK, seemed knowledgeable, and had a good supply of parts on hand. The picture is of an Aladdin kit, which is NOT OEM, but not no-name either. You could try it, or try to order the equivalent in actual Hayward parts.

Either way, CALL them -- don't order online -- and TALK to someone who's familiar with the pump. Or better, if you have a decent pool store nearby, go talk to them. Helping customers find and buy the correct pool parts is a REAL service they often provide and in an entirely different category than pushing expensive and unnecessary chemical 'solutions'.

By the way, be careful with that "Magic Lube". It's very goo-ey and hard to remove. Don't use it on the lid O-ring, or every bit of dirt that ever touches that ring will stick. Or, you can put it on and then try (you won't succeed!) to wipe it all off. That will leave about the right amount on that lid O-ring.)

Thanks again for your reply. Is the "magic Lube" really necessary? I was thinking of using dish wash liquid or Vaseline.

Better to use nothing. Vaseline can cause some O-ring and gasket materials to deteriorate. Dishwashing liquid probably won't hurt, but I don't see how it would help either.

In any case, mostly I've used lube to get an O-ring that wants to jump out of its groove, to stay put. And then, the nastiest, stickiest stuff you can use is best.

Thanks. Time to order parts. After I get the pump to stop leaking, I'll be back to learn how to get the water clear and find out why the level goes down so quickly (pump isn't leaking THAT much).

+ Reply to Thread