+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Centurion Pool Pump cuts off after 1 second

Default Centurion Pool Pump cuts off after 1 second

My Centurion Pool Pump cuts off after 1 second. It appears to start pumping water before it cuts off (meaning I here it starting to prime) then it just cuts off. I have read enough to know it sounds like a Thermal Overload problem. Any ideas on where i should start either the wiring, fuses, electric circuits, or pull the pump apart? I would have searched on this but apparently you can't search until you post so sorry if this is already answered.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Centurion Pool Pump cuts off after 1 second

Where is it tripping? At the breaker, or inside the pump?

A thermal overload trip is internal to the pump. But, it usually doesn't happen as quick as 1 second, unless your pump is not turning at all when it's powered up.

(You can search with Google Custom Search both PoolSolutions & the PoolForum using the link in my signature -- and you'll get better results than with the vBulletin internal search.)
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 01-16-2012 at 02:13 PM.

So I took, the pump seal off and i looked and the motor does start turning but its turning really slow compared to what it should and its cutting off within 5 second I would say. I was trying to search before but one of the requirements on this forum is you have to post before you can search so I just posted my question first . let me know if you know of anything that would help or if I should just run out and buy a new motor (its less than 2 years old).

Also, i think its cutting off at the pump as no breaker or anything like that is tripped. If I cut the power and then turn it back on i get the same behavior.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

If you've got it all apart, try turning the motor shaft with your fingers, to see if the motor bearings are bad.

(By the way, you CAN search; just use the search link in my signature. After I did the system software upgrade, I never got the PoolForum logo back up last year, with the search link shown, but I'll do that soon.)

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

It almost sounds like the starter winding is not cutting out as the motor tries to come up to speed. There is a centrifugal switch somewhere, usually at the back end where the power goes in. The set of contacts is normally closed until the motor gets going then they open, disconnecting the starting winding. This is a high current winding and if it doesn't cut out within a short time then you will probably get a thermal overload trip. If you find the switch, on the rotor there are some weights and springs. The weights will fly out at speed against the spring force and move something that opens the switch. Maybe a broken spring, stuck weight or something else broiken or stuck. Take a look and see what you find. It is also possible you have a shorted winding but I think you would smell something.
    Al

+ Reply to Thread