+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Polaris 360 vs 340 - Current/past users please!

Sherra is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher Sherra 0

Default Polaris 360 vs 340 - Current/past users please!

I want to get a Polaris cleaner for my pool, but I'm conflicted as to which kind. I'm looking at the 360 (pressure) and the 340 (suction). Our pool is plumbed with a dedicated line we could hook up for a pressure cleaner, I'd just have to connect a 3-way diverter valve (which I'm assuming wouldn't be that difficult for a do-it-yourselfer). Filter setup picture. I wouldn't worry about a dedicated line for the 340 because I can already shut down the return lines as needed (which I do when I manually vacuum anyway).

Does anyone have experience with either of these cleaners? Most of our debris is sand...and lots of it (new subdivision/actively building in the area), so with the 360 I know I'd have to use a sand/silt bag to get the best results. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Sherra
    Kershaw County South Carolina
    18x34 IG 2' radius rectangle vinyl liner (approx 27,500 gal) 1 1/2" pipes installed March 2006
    (previous AG pool owner)

Default Re: Polaris 360 vs 340 - Current/past users please!

The 3-way valve isn't a hard thing to do, as long as you've delt with PVC in the past. There are pros and cons to both of these cleaners in your situation. I'm a Polaris dealer so I'm very familar with the products.

360: Proven - You will want the sand/silt bag for sure.
    340: It's been out for several years, but the 360 is more durrable and easier to work on. Suctions cleaners are sometimes better for fine dirt such as sand and mud.

If you have a dedicated pressure line, have you considered using a Polaris 280 with a booster pump. I think this would give you the best performance.

Josh

Lenny is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst Lenny 0

I've used the 360 for several weeks between this year and last.

It does a good job, but not great. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't climb my stairs. I had to fiddle around with the hose connections and hose length quite a bit before I got everything right but it's pretty much trouble free now.

I opened early this spring (mid April) and I have to say that it's done a pretty good job with a hell of a mess.

cwstnsko is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst cwstnsko 0

The 340 has a problem with a worm gear in the drive mechanism that tends to break. Until recently the worm gear was only available as part of the gearbox for about $215 One of our local pool stores recently started stocking the gear for about $17 One of the other good pools stores has a big pile of dead 340s they use for parts.

Sherra is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher Sherra 0

Thank you all for your feedback.

If you have a dedicated pressure line, have you considered using a Polaris 280 with a booster pump. I think this would give you the best performance.
    I want to avoid a booster pump...I simply do not want to deal with paying an electrician to come out and rewire for the pump and put in a new timer and pay for the extra electricity to run an extra pump. I just want to avoid having to be out and vacuuming my pool for an hour to an hour and a half each time we go out to use it. Yes, I literally spend that much time manually vacuuming the sand from the bottom of my pool.
    Sherra
    Kershaw County South Carolina
    18x34 IG 2' radius rectangle vinyl liner (approx 27,500 gal) 1 1/2" pipes installed March 2006
    (previous AG pool owner)

Lenny is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst Lenny 0

My 360 is very powerful and, in fact, I have to think about adjusting my valve positions to decrease it somewhat.

Yesterday it swallowed a fairly large frog.

Another possible solution is a better Vac head. Check out "Cleaning Tools" on the main order page. I have both a Polaris 280 (with booster pump) and this vac head and found the vac head to be much faster than the brush head given to me by the builder. Good Luck.

+ Reply to Thread