+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Black tube type water heaters Are they hard on the pump?

Default Black tube type water heaters Are they hard on the pump?

I am thinking about buying 1 or 2 of those "solar" heaters that is essentially just black tubing under a plastic covering to help heat the pool. I can't help but wonder though if pumping the water through all that extra tubing would be hard on the pump.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Better ideas for heating are VERY welcome!
    ( I will use a solar cover as i see a huge dif with it on my neighbors pool)

Pool: 18x48 AG round intex brand pool. Pump is standard 1500 gal/hr intex but thinking of upgrading to 2500.

Thanks!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Black tube type water heaters Are they hard on the pump?

The Solar heaters will reduce your (already too low) flow / filtration rate. Since you are thinking of upgrading your filter, please consider one of the small sand filter / pump combos on the market (Hayward makes one). They're a bit spendy but you will very likely be happier with the water quality and ease of operation.

Please note that your storable / portable pool and pump probably aren't properly bonded (unless you had an electrician out to do so or you are an electrician and have done so). I wouldn't let anyone in or near the pool while it's plugged in. This may reduce you available solar heating time.

The solar blanket is a great idea. It won't heat you pool but it will keep alot of heat overnight.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Okay. Thanks for your comments. Are the sand filter type of pumps compatable with the saltwater system I already have? Can you describe why this type of pump is prefered for me?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Please note that your storable / portable pool and pump probably aren't properly bonded (unless you had an electrician out to do so or you are an electrician and have done so). I wouldn't let anyone in or near the pool while it's plugged in. .
    You Have My Attention! Educate me please. What are the issues with this.

Thanks

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Smile Re: Black tube type water heaters Are they hard on the pump?

Bonding:
    Bonding a pool is installing a large guage conductor all around the pool, connected to all metal parts on and around the pool, connected to all electrical equipment ( pump / Salt Water Chloring Generator (SWCG)), and connected to the pool water. The goal is to reduce the possibility of givng someone an electric shock by making sure that there is no voltage difference between the pool and everything around it.

Most self-install storable pools make no provision for bonding. It is possible that a water leak in the pool's elelctrical equipment could enerigize the water and provide a path to ground through a person in or near the pool. Not good. It may not happen all or most of the time but the potential is there with nothing to mitigate it.

It would be safest to make a rule "No One In Or Near The Pool When It's Plugged In" and enforce it. Also make sure the pool's power supply is protected by a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter(GFCI).

Sand Filter:
    I used several different cartirdges filters from Intex and others when we had our Intex donut pools and was never really happy with the water quality - there was always some particulate that got through. The filters were working as I washed alot of goo out of them every time I cleaned them but there was still a cloudines to the water. I believe that sand will work beter and may be eaiser to maintain. Intex makes a couple different sized sand filters and other manufacturers do as well.

SWCG:
    What SWCG do you have? One concern is that some Intex SWCGs have a copper ionizer included as a feature. Copper is not popular on this forum for a couple reasons 1) it can stain hair green 2) it can help control algae (which you can see) but not bacteria (which you can't see but can make you sick). On the ther hand, if you drain the pool annually, the copper may not build up enough to cause staining and if you test daily and make sure your chlorine levels are always high enough you shouldn't have a problem with bacteria.

Suggestion:
    Purchase and learn to use a good DPD-FAS test kit (Taylor K-2006) - it makes pool care much eaiser - IMO. If you buy one through the link in some of this forum's moderator's signatures, the pool forum gets a few scheckels to keep the lights on.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Bonding:
    Bonding a pool is installing a large guage conductor all around the pool, . . .
    Thanks for the info. Will have to look into the possibility of bonding but will use the the no swim while plugged rule until then. Thank you.

Yes my SWCG is intex brand. It is 2 yrs old. Not sure on the copper ionizer. Need to go look that up.

Okay. I will look into the Taylor K-2006. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread