+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Had my first "bleach in the pool??" argument!!!

bbb is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst bbb 0

Default Re: Had my first "bleach in the pool??" argument!!!

Chrisexv6, lots of people buy bleach, borax, and baking soda in bulk for plenty of other household cleaning, frugal style, without unneeded additives, which, if you think about it, is exactly what we are doing for our pools.
    bbb = bleach, borax, & baking soda

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

In response to CarlD's post #9....in the Walmart here we can do all that and also walk out with a high power riflle and all the ammo you want. However...walk out with a can of spray paint and they want your life history. Just joking. If I walked out with the agressive stuff I would think I would be asked if I was over 18. Yeah...I'll show them my AARP card that gets me hotel discounts. Heck...it's 8-10$ off a Hampton Inn rate.
    Al

The best price I have found for bleach has been 1.30 per gallon. The lable reads 3% . I am beginning to wonder if it might not be cheaper to use the pool stuff. By the time you double the amount of bleach to get to a 6% needed, you are getting close to the price of Liquid Chlorine sold by the pool dealers.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by bbb
    Chrisexv6, lots of people buy bleach, borax, and baking soda in bulk for plenty of other household cleaning, frugal style, without unneeded additives, which, if you think about it, is exactly what we are doing for our pools.
    I try to tell my family and friends that "Im not cheap, Im frugal", but they dont listen!

Fine by me, I get the last laugh when my pool is crystal clear for 1/3rd the cost of their "sorta cloudy" pool.

-Chris

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Walmart here in canada - their no name brand was 5.25% at 97 cents a gallon - this year it jumped to 1.30 gallon, but still teh best bargain in town, and yes, the only comment I get in the checkout line with my shopping cart full of bleach is usually from the cute soccer mom behind me asking me if i'd like to do her...... house that is.....

Around here, Namco sells 5 gallon carboys of 12.5% for 13.90 tax included so I would have to be able to get 6% bleach for 1.39 a gallon tax included to break it even. So far, no joy.

I would pay even a bit more for the convenience, Namco does not supply the spigot to go on top so the first pour is pretty hairy.

Dumb move for the season: spilled some on the deck steps, not thinking I just wiped it over the edge with my hand, whoa boy did that heat up fast! Good thing I was near the pool to plunge my hand in.

Robin N is offline ** No working email address ** Robin N 0

Cool Re: Had my first "bleach in the pool??" argument!!!

What do you tell the pool guys when they ask what type of chlorine are you using? I just made my first trip into the pool store and was confronted with that question.

Just curious!

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Robin N
    What do you tell the pool guys when they ask what type of chlorine are you using? I just made my first trip into the pool store and was confronted with that question.

Just curious!
    Tell them you use sodium hypochlorite or liquid chlorine. If they ask the percentage tell them 6% because it has a longer shelf life. Just don't tell them it's Ultra Bleach!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Tell them you use sodium hypochlorite or liquid chlorine. If they ask the percentage tell them 6% because it has a longer shelf life. Just don't tell them it's Ultra Bleach!
    This IS, of course, the perfect answer! The recommended on

Unless you want to bug them, which doesn't bother me! I have 9 different pool stores I can frequent so I don't care. Besides, I've spent enough in most of them that if they are offended, it's THEIR loss!

Rule 1: The customer is always right.
    Rule 2: When the customer is wrong, see Rule 1.
    Rule 3: When the customer is STILL wrong, the customer is an ex-customer. But this leads to Rule 4, which is:
    Rule 4: One "Aw, NUTZ!" un-does ten "Atta Boy!"s.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread