+ Reply to Thread

Thread: first time pool owner and first closing (still with questions)

Red face first time pool owner and first closing (still with questions)

I have read the stickies and other threads.

We will be closing our pool this weekend and I have a couple of questions.

We have decided not to cover our pool as we tend to have quite a lot of wind.

We will bring the chlorine and ph levels up and then drain it to just below the skimmer and return, disconnect the pump and store it in the garage for the winter.

That leaves the 'gizmo' or skimmer cover and some sort of cover for the return. My question is what is the purpose of the gizmo, is it simply to keep the water from draining out of the skimmer on its own or something else? Also, where would we purchase plugs for the return opening since we did not get any with the pool.

My other question is, for those that don't cover their pools: how do you keep the water level where it needs to be after rain and snow?

Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge with me.

Renee
    27 ft x 52 in AGP
    Hayward Power flo LS 1.5 hp - Hayward model s180t sand filter

27' round 17.2K gal AG pool; hand fed; Hayward model s180t sand filter sand filter; Hayward Power flo LS 1.5 hp pump; 24/7hrs; Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006; orig. truck but use well to resupply; summer: ; winter: ; ; PF:7

Default Re: first time pool owner and first closing (still with questions)

Since you've disconnected the pump you will have open plumbing lines from the pool at the return and the skimmer. If the water level rises from snow or rain it will drain out of those. I cover the open ends with metal fly screen held on with zip ties to keep the critters out. I don't plug the return. At startup next spring I'll put the garden hose in the return opening and wash it out which will get rid of any vermin which might have got in. It has never happened in the past.

As to the skimmer, I put an old skimmer basket in it as a trap for debris or mice. Funny, your question about the skimmer cover plate. I had the very same question in another thread. My best guess for its purpose is to keep debris out of the skimmer.

If you do want to plug the return you could shop around for expanding rubber plugs, the kind that have a wing nut you turn to make the plug fatter.

One tip about the pump in the garage: if you have mice, they'll find it and build a condo inside it. I plug the open piping with a wad of steel wool.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Thank You Anna for the info. The tip about the pump is great!

I do have one more question though, do you remove your multi port from the filter during the winter or do you leave it in place? I am a little confused since I have read to take it off and leave it on.
    27 ft x 52 in AGP

27' round 17.2K gal AG pool; hand fed; Hayward model s180t sand filter sand filter; Hayward Power flo LS 1.5 hp pump; 24/7hrs; Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006; orig. truck but use well to resupply; summer: ; winter: ; ; PF:7

We remove the multiport valve and store it with the pump. We cut a square from a spare piece of plywood, drilled 4 holes in it, and loosely bolt it to the opening on the filter. We also take out the pressure gauge and loosen the sight glass. We drain the filter at the plug on the bottom then screw the plug back on just a couple of turns.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Thank you both, AnnaK and Watermom, after much consideration (and compromise) we are leaving the multi-port on. It is already too late for the pressure gauge as it was having a problem when we were cleaning the pool prior to closing. We thought it was the pump/filter but when we turned the power off the gauge only dropped to 15 so now we are guessing that it didn't like one of these past cold nights. If that is the only problem that we have when we open in a few months I will be happy!
    27 ft x 52 in AGP

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

It doesn't take much to kill a pressure gauge--the good news is that they're pretty inexpensive and easy to find, so just wait until after winter and get a new one for the new season. I lose one every year, because I don't close my pool--rather, I just run my pump during the few below-freezing nights that we get. A new pressure gauge is a small price to pay for not having to close up!!

Janet

+ Reply to Thread