+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winterize in Southern California

Hybrid View

Default Winterize in Southern California

We have a 2 year old 24,000 gallon IG SWG pool with a cover in southern California. It rarely gets below freezing here.
    My pool has been pretty much maintenance free. I add 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid twice a week to fight PH climb but that's about it for maintenance.
    Last winter I covered it and ran the pump on a reduced schedule (every few days I would run it for a few hours) while still adding acid occasionally.

Can I leave it covered and stop running the pump completely? Do I need to worry about the PH rise? Will it even rise without the pump? Can I just dump a bunch of chlorine into it and stop pumping for the next 4 months?

Most of the pool closure threads here deal with colder regions so I haven’t found much on climates like mine.

Thanks

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Winterize in Southern California

Hi and welcome to the forum! Sorry you haven't gotten a reply yet. Ben has had some issues he has had to deal with the past few days and thus he hasn't yet been able to move these new posts into the general part of the forum where you'll be able to get some advice. But, he'll hopefully be able to do so soon. So, sit tight. Just wanted to let you know that your post has been read and that you aren't being ignored!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

You're adding a GALLON of muriatic acid every week to a 24,000 gallon pool? That's pretty unusual. I think you need to test your water -- not with strips -- and see if it's OK.

But, to your question: whether you can cover it and let it go all winter is pretty doubtful. If water temps stay below 65, you *probably* can (but I don't know), if you make sure it's cleaned and shocked before covering.

Maybe someone with experience closing a warm water pool can comment.

Hi Ben,

I'll wait to hear what others in So Cal do but I value your thoughts on just shutting it down. I was hoping I could leave it off.

As for the acid - do you think that's too much acid? I add 1/2 gallon twice a week and that seems to keep the PH correct. I came to that amount after a few trips to Leslie's to have the water tested.

What would you consider a proper amount of acid on my size pool?

Thanks

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

It's not so much what I consider proper as it is, wanting to understand why your pool needs so much.

A starting place would be a Taylor test kit (linked below) and some good test results.

I tested last night with a drops kit and came up with:
    FC=3+
    CC=3+
    PH=8.2+
    Alk=140

What else would you like to see tested?

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread