+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winterizing in CA

Cool Winterizing in CA

Hi guys and gals, (Watermom)
    I read the sticky but just got more confused. so here are some questions and if I ask something that is already covered in the stickys:
    I have a 26,000 gal. IG gunite, 1/2 horse Jandy pump, booster pump for cleaner (polaris), 4 cartridge filter, and solar on the roof. Pool is and has been algae free all summer thanks to you guys. I am at about 30 stabilizer and 15 chlorine and 7.6 ph...water temp is around 52 - 54 degrees

1. Should I shock it?
    2. Should I cover it?
    3. Will I need to do anything during the winter?
    4. I have in the past, set the pump to come on if it gets to cold, should I keep doing that or is it risky?
    5. Is there anything I do not know I need to ask about? LOL I know I know

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Winterizing in CA

With a CYA of 30 and chlorine of 15, your pool is already at shock level. Whther you want to cover or not is up to you--mine is never closed or covered because I don't have trees around to dump leaves in it, and Ihave it fenced so there's no risk of a child or animal falling in and drowning. However, if those things are different for your pool, you might want to consider a cover. In Louisiana, we get veryfew nights when the temps are below freezing, so I just run my pump overnight during those times. That way I can keep the chems right in my pool and start swimming as soon as it warms up again. So you have an option to either just run the pump during freezing weather, or to drain the water from your equipment and actually close your pool. I would say that decision should be made considering how cold it actually gets where you are.
    Janet

+ Reply to Thread