+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Finaly got my Salt system working

Default Finaly got my Salt system working

Hi, first of all, i want to thank this forum for helping me bring my pool back to life.

So, i spent the summer without my salt system working and used bleach and it worked awesome. I finaly got around to ordering my circuit board because it was to damaged to fix. I must say, i love the salt sytem so far. I haven't had to add bleach for a month now. It works awesome! The only issue that i have is that i have high levels of salt. I've double checked with test strips and the chlorinator is spot on. It was my understanding that my generator wasn't supposed to work when levels were above 4000 and i'm at 4100 to 4400. My high salt level doesn't come on and it keeps my chlorine at 5ppm. It's working so i won't complain. My pH and calcium is on the high side but my pool is sparkling clear. Here are my numbers.

fc-5
    pH-7.8
    TA-100
    ch-500
    salt-4300
    water temp-70

I have tried to lower the pH but it won't stay down so i have left it between 7.6 and 7.8
    23k gallons - Aqua-Rite salt system
    pebble-tec inground
    hayward super clear with paper cartridege filters - 1/2 hp pump

Default Re: Finaly got my Salt system working

As a general statement, the test strips for salt are probably not that reliable. And for what it's worth, the little battery powered testers used by the pool stores also vary. I would also ponder a guess that if your salt level is too high OR too low, the system will in all probability still work, just not as efficiently.

I treat my SWCG kinda like my spouse, she is the only one that I have to satisfy. In other words, as long as the SWCG is producing chlorine and working well, and the high salt and low salt lights are not coming on, you're Golden.
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by DirtRider67 View Post
    Hi, first of all, i want to thank this forum for helping me bring my pool back to life.

So, i spent the summer without my salt system working and used bleach and it worked awesome. I finaly got around to ordering my circuit board because it was to damaged to fix. I must say, i love the salt sytem so far. I haven't had to add bleach for a month now. It works awesome! The only issue that i have is that i have high levels of salt. I've double checked with test strips and the chlorinator is spot on. It was my understanding that my generator wasn't supposed to work when levels were above 4000 and i'm at 4100 to 4400. My high salt level doesn't come on and it keeps my chlorine at 5ppm. It's working so i won't complain. My pH and calcium is on the high side but my pool is sparkling clear. Here are my numbers.

fc-5
    pH-7.8
    TA-100
    ch-500
    salt-4300
    water temp-70

I have tried to lower the pH but it won't stay down so i have left it between 7.6 and 7.8
    The Aquarite does not cut off until about 4600 ppm so you are still withing range. Keeping the pH between 7.6 to 7.8 is ideal for a SWCG btw. What is your CYA? With the Aquarite you want to to be 80 ppm. IF you drop your TA down to 70 ppm you will have better pH stability, btw.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallGuy View Post
    As a general statement, the test strips for salt are probably not that reliable. And for what it's worth, the little battery powered testers used by the pool stores also vary.
    FWIW, the salt test strips are actually titrators and, if used properly (let them sit in the sample for a full 10 minutes) are very good and less prone to operator error than the trickier chromate/silver nitrate titration test. Salt meters range from excellent to terrible and a lot depends on keeping them calibrated against a standard salt solution.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear View Post
    FWIW, the salt test strips are actually titrators and, if used properly (let them sit in the sample for a full 10 minutes) are very good and less prone to operator error than the trickier chromate/silver nitrate titration test. Salt meters range from excellent to terrible and a lot depends on keeping them calibrated against a standard salt solution.
    HI Evan, thanks for your insight, I love this Forum. Would you please be so kind as to explain the difference between the two, and what to look for when we go to the pool store?
    If you can afford a swimming pool and computer, you can probably afford to help keep the PoolForum alive. Please be a responsible member and subscribe today. You'll probably save more than the membership fee on your first trip to the pool store. BTG

HI Evan, thanks for your insight, I love this Forum. Would you please be so kind as to explain the difference between the two, and what to look for when we go to the pool store?
    do you mean between salt strips and titration test or salt meters?
    For meters I have found the MyronL and the Oakton SaltTestr11 to be reliable AS LONG AS THEY ARE KEPT CALIBRATED WITH STANDARD SOLUTIONS ON A REGULAR BASIS! FWIW, the Hayward/Goldline salt meter is a rebranded Oakton unit (but not sure which model--I think they are using the lower end Ecotestr now--they used to use the SaltTestr).

I'm Sorry Evan, Please forgive me, I misunderstood your post. Is there any difference in Salt strips, or are they all about the same? I thought I read somewhere on this forum that test strips were largely inaccurate, but that may not have been Salt tests.

I guess I'm looking for a "best bang for your buck" break-down on salt testing. Best to worst, and cheapest to most expensive. I need something that is more reliable than the pool store.

Thanks for your help.

Test strips are usless for pH, TA, CH, and CYA. They are about as useful as an OTO test for Chlorine, IMHO. However, there are a few specialty tests where the strips are either precise enough or better. These are salt titrators (less chance of operator error than the 'fussy' salt titration!), borate test strips (here the LaMotte win hands down over the AquaChek! The only drop based borate test still available is from Apollo Pools in Canada and it is an add on for the Taylor K-2006) and Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia (not needed very often but useful in a pool that has a HUGE chlorine demand or persistent algae that just won't go away.) Bad news is that if the problem is nitrate/nitrite all you can really do is replace the water. Ammonia can be dealt with by LARGE amounts of chlorine

So then, As a general statement, Salt Strips are reasonably accurate and "Good Enough" for residential use. Without going into brand names, are there any different types of Salt Strips that are better than others?

So then, As a general statement, Salt Strips are reasonably accurate and "Good Enough" for residential use. Without going into brand names, are there any different types of Salt Strips that are better than others?
    The only salt strips I have ever seen are made by Hach and retailed under the AquaChek brand for pool/spa use.

+ Reply to Thread