+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aqua Rite SWG Main Board bad component

Default Aqua Rite SWG Main Board bad component

I have a Goldline SWG and the main board (part number 066012C-1 Rev C) had a bad component on it. It is the large black round resistor? marked SA SL32 2R025 (RZ3 on the main board). It is cracked and when I removed the board from the main unit the component fell apart. I am not sure if is resistor is the correct name for this part. The part is black, it is about 1 1/4 inches in diameter and about 3/16 of an inch thick (slightly larger than a quarter although about the thickness of three quarters). It sits on the upper right side of the board and has two leads that are soldered into the board. There is also a burn mark (soot) where the component sits on the board. I would like to attempt to replace this part instead of paying an un-Godly amount of money for a new main board. I wish I had a schematic for this board so that I can further identify the part.

Can someone advise me as to what the part is really called and if there is a source for this specific part so that I can replace it. This would allow me to see if the entire board is bad or if it is just this component.

Help please......
    Last edited by Nevets; 09-26-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Default Re: Aqua Rite SWG Main Board bad component

It's a varister, common failure with that board apparently. Here's a site that details the repair: http://idoneitmyself.wordpress.com/2...-by-lightning/

I had the same thing happen last year, but replaced the board before looking into what would have been a simple repair.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

Thanks for the link. That is it. I ordered a new one yesterday for $2.69 + SH. Hopefully this will fix the problem. I called Hayward TS and they said "don't do it as it will fail within 30 days" and this is just what I expected from them when they charge up to $400 for a new board. What a ripoff...... Of course, my unit is out of warrantee so this was what I expected from them.

Now time will tell. I will get the part in the mail in a couple of days, 15 minutes of soldering, and then the test. If it works, just saved myself lots of money. If it doesn't, cost was less than $5 to give it a shot at working again.

Will let you know who it went.....

$400 sounds a bit steep, I got the replacement board for $200 from my local pool store.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

Eureka! The pool gods have smiled upon me. Was able to replace the "inrush current limiter" and the system is now working. A little low on salt right now due to all the rain that we have had this month, 8+ inches so far. One bag will bring the level from 2800ppm to 3200ppm where it should be.

Alas, I meant to say that Hayward quoted me a price of $300 (instead of $400). Fat fingers on a skinny keyboard. Never the less, I was able to save quite alot of money doing it myself. Total cost of repair was less than $7.00 and about 1 hour total time.

All I can do is hope that the pool gods will continue to smile upon me and that the unit will continue to operate normally but alas, only time will tell.

Thanks for the responses as they led me to the right place for the repair work.

+ Reply to Thread