+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spa and BBB

b2001 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst b2001 0

Default Spa and BBB

I’m not sure where else to put this. I have a pool and have been using bbb for several years now in my pool thanks to this forum.

I also have a spa (morgan) – for years I’ve been using a spa frog (silver chloride 0.5% other undefined ingredients 99.5%) , bromide tablets (1-bromo-3-chloro-5, 5-dimenthylhydantoin 60%, 1,3-dichloro-5, 5- dimenthylhydantoin 27.4%, 1,3-dichloro-5-ethyl-5-methylhydantoin 10.6%) and I add Morgan “shock out” (active ingredient persulfate compound).

I assume I could use bbb for the spa also instead of the above stuff – and use either bleach or chlorinating granules or tri-chlor tablets?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Spa and BBB

How have you been? Nice to see you around.

You can certainly run a hot tub using BBB. You'd want to drain the tub and start fresh (see the 'Once a bromine pool, Always a bromine pool' article in Pool Solutions).

Is the spa indoors or outdoors? It makes a difference as to how much cya you'll want in the water which, in turn, will determine the chlorine level you'll want to maintain.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

b2001 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst b2001 0

Thanks for the reply. It's been a while since I've been here. It's nice to see some of the folks still here. I've been doing ok but have been battling health issues the last couple of years - just trying to persevere.

I'll read the article. It's easy to drain the spa, so that won't be a problem. The spa is outdoors but it is under a large oak tree and I always keep it covered with a cover when not in use, so I assume that I could treat it as an indoor spa.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Just as a suggestion you might want to visit www.poolspaforum.com. They have a LOT of info devoted to spas including how to do the bleach/dichlor method (BBB for spas) and the proper way to do 3 step bromine. There is really not a lot of spa info on this forum, it's devoted more to pools while poolspafourm is much more active in the spa sections of the forum.

(Mods or Ben, if you have any problems with this post directing someone to a different forum feel free to delete it. I'm just trying to be helpful.)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yeah, Evan's right. We don't discuss spas much here. He knows far more than I do.

Carl
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread