+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air in the system

Default Air in the system

Hi,

I have noticed lately a lot of bubbles coming out of my returns. If I open the top of my filter (DE 100) there is always some are trapped in there. But even if I let all the air out until just water shoots out, a couple hours later bubbles reappear and air is trapped in the filter again. It seems to me there must be a "leak" (not water leaking out but air leaking in). It wouldn't bother me much, but the problem is that air ends up in the bag of the pool cleaner and the cleaner floats at the surface most of the time.

Any ideas? I appreciate your help!

About my pool: SWG, variable speed pump, water feauture.

Thanks, Olaf

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Air in the system

Sorry to hear you are having issues!

From your post, I think you have 2 issues going on at this point:

1. Your SWCG will produce hydrogen bubbles that will come out of the return(s) while the unit is generating (see if the bubbles lessen when the unit isn't producing)

2. You also seem to have a suction side leak. The pump lid is often the culprit, check to see if the lid is fully secure and the gasket/ o-ring in good shape, lubed and clear of debris. There is also the chance that the skimmer weir is stuck closed or you don't have enough water in your pool. Another possibility is an air leak in the plumbing coming into the pump - a valve or union o-ring gone bad and allowing air in. Worst case scenario is a broken suction pipe underground.

There are a lot of folks, besides myself, here that can help you narrow down the leak. All you need do is tell us what you find and we'll advise
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Check that o-ring on the pump basket and make sure it is intact. I have used silicone grease on mine in the past to eliminate air getting into the system. Just take out the o-ring and lightly coat it with a good quality silicone grease and be sure to get the basket cover back on snuggly. Those o-rings develop small cracks as they age and the grease will often times be enough to forego replacement of the ring. This has worked for me for several years. Also you can use the grease on your basket and pump drain plug o-rings and threads to make a more effective seal as well. Good luck!
    20,000 Gallon IG Vinyl (first season 2000)
    Solar Heat
    2 Speed Rebuilt pump
    Sand filter
    cooldude.com/pool-1.jpg

Thanks to all of your replies. I will check (hopefully tomorrow) and report back!

+ Reply to Thread