+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chlorine generator question

Jacob99 is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst Jacob99 0

Default Chlorine generator question

I've been reading and reading on here, and have been thinking of getting a SWCG with the pool package I plan to order soon. However, I'm a little apprehensive about my pool warranty being instantly voided. I was looking for alternatives. I've been looking up liquid injection chlorine systems but they seem expensive. I would prefer to not have to dump 1+ gallons of bleach in my pool on a daily basis, and don't want to use a floater...I would prefer a little less maintenance. Are the chlorinators really that bad? Are there no good ones? They seem to be the easiest option....

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: Chlorine generator question

Are you talking about an inground pool or an above ground pool? SWCGs are not bad at all. If using one will instantly void your pool warranty then I would suggest either finding a different builder (for an inground pool) or selecting a different brand of above ground pool that is compatible with salt systems since both have been successfully used with salt systems for many years. If you mean inline chlorinators for trichlor tabs then the problem is not the chlorinator but the tabs, they will cause CYA (stabilizer) levels to keep rising and this often leads to an overstabilzed pool, whihc ofen leads to reoccurring, persistent algae outbreaks and other problems.. Trichlor is a chemical made from chlorine and CYA. Once the chlorine is gone the CYA remains and builds up in the water. Trichlor is also the only slow dissolving form of solid chlorine for pool use so it is the only form of chlorine that works in floaters and chlorinators. Before you ask why then don't make a tab without CYA I will tell you that they can't.
    So, if you want to avoid the problems associated with trichlor use then stay away from both feeders (chlorinators) and floaters. Your choices are manually dosing with bleach or liquid chorine, using an automatic feed system (which can be expensive since they are normally used on commerical installations and have their own set of maintenance tasks that can be more work than manully dosing) or getting a SWCG, which still requies regular water testing and balancing! If you are looking for something that is maintenance free it does not exist. No matter which way you go you are going to need to test and balance the water and make adjustments. Some ways are easier than others.
    My opinion on least maintenance to most is:
    SWCG
    Manual Bleach or liquid chlorine addition
    Peristaltic dosing pump (manual adjustment) or "liquidator" dosing system for bleach
    (The following have significantly more maintenace or problems associated with them)
    trichlor floater
    trichlor feeder (chlorinator)
    Persistaltic dosing pump with ORP controller (automatic)

Others may disagree with this list. Like I said it is just my opinion based on my (sometimes limited) experience with these options. I have a lot more experience with some then others on the list so there may be bias in favor of what I have used more.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Interesting....thanks for the reply. The pool I'm looking at is a 30' round above ground Tahitian which is made by Wilbar. It carries their 2nd best warranty...lifetime on walls, and 60 years (5 full) of other parts. However, it clearly states, "Salt Chlorine Generator Systems & any other like system that uses salt to purify the pool raises the risk of
    corrosion substantially.ALL WARRANTIES ARE VOIDED IF SUCH SYSTEMS ARE USED!"

I don't know why it's such a big deal, it's heavy gauge steel with their plastic coating on the walls, etc.

With the automatic chlorinators, don't they have one that uses liquid chlorine instead of the pucks, or does that automatically become an injection system?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob99 View Post

I don't know why it's such a big deal, it's heavy gauge steel
    THAT is why. There are composite pools that are fine for use with a SWCG so shop around.
    With the automatic chlorinators, don't they have one that uses liquid chlorine instead of the pucks, or does that automatically become an injection system?
    manual Peristaltic pumps or devices like the Liquidator. Not sure what you mean by "injection system".
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

So the difference between this with 9 layer PlastiGuard coating:

http://www.familypoolfun.com/shop?ca...7&product=TF15

vs. this with Resin coating:

http://www.familypoolfun.com/shop?ca...&product=MAT15

is what makes a pool okay for use with SWCG? That really blows because the Matrix only comes in 28 and 33 round. I really have my heart set on a 30 round!

I think the latter is made entirely of resin rather than resin coated steel.

Edit: I guess you're right. The side of the page indicates it's got "steel walls". I wonder if that's an error since in the details it doesn't say so.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

My guess is that the walls are coated and sealed steel. I have a hard time believing that any resin sheeting would have the necessary tensile strength to hold a pool.

..Perhaps if it had kevlar mesh molded in?
    Last edited by BigDave; 09-14-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Another thought
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

If you are set on getting this pool then a generator is out.
    If this is your first pool, you can start by using bleach or Liquid Chlorine and seeing if testing and adding as you need is easy enough for you. I find it's not a burden. If you learn our B-B-B system, which is very easy, you may find the SWCG isn't necessary. I would LOVE to have one but I cannot justify the cost (for me) because it relieves me of very little work. OTOH, I was EASILY able to justify a robotic vacuum rather than manually vacuuming and brushing the walls.

But that is me, and my needs.

I don't know about the Liquidator but I tried an earlier passive system that used pump suction, replacing the drain plug on the pump. It was, for me, a total waste of $$$ and that on-line store stopped selling them. From what little I hear, the Liquidator is better.

Also if you haven't done so, invest in a good test kit. We recommend the Taylor K-2006 or K-2006C. PoolDoc and Watermom have links to them on their signatures and if you use the link there's a small commission paid by the store that helps pay to maintain the forum.

Carl
    Carl

Thanks everyone. I will definitely buy the test kit, but I think I'll work on actually getting the pool first. Good to know that forum gets a little piece when buying through the links on their sigs. This place rocks, and I'm happy to help out where I can. The Liquidator does seem like a convenient thing to have, but I can't find reviews about how they hold up year to year. Also, would I be able to leave it outside over the winter, or would I need to bring it in or winterize it somehow?

Also, I've got a really stupid question about BBB. When putting bleach into your pool, do you just lean over the side and dump it in? I know you have to be careful with splashing on the liner, clothes, etc, but if I dump a gallon of bleach over the sidewall on a 30' pool, won't I need to stir it, or do I just pour it in when the pump is running and that helps distribute it? I searched for an answer on this because quite frankly I was embarrassed to ask as it's probably common sense, but being new to pools in general, I want to make sure I understand everything. Once I pour it in, should I wait a little while before going in the water?

bump....

+ Reply to Thread